Company DescriptionAt Intuitive, we are united behind our mission: we believe that minimally invasive care is life-enhancing care. Through ingenuity and intelligent technology, we expand the potential of physicians to heal without constraints.
As a pioneer and market leader in robotic-assisted surgery, we strive to foster an inclusive and diverse team, committed to making a difference. For more than 25 years, we have worked with hospitals and care teams around the world to help solve some of healthcare's hardest challenges and advance what is possible.
Intuitive has been built by the efforts of great people from diverse backgrounds. We believe great ideas can come from anywhere. We strive to foster an inclusive culture built around diversity of thought and mutual respect. We lead with inclusion and empower our team members to do their best work as their most authentic selves.
Passionate people who want to make a difference drive our culture. Our team members are grounded in integrity, have a strong capacity to learn, the energy to get things done, and bring diverse, real world experiences to help us think in new ways. We actively invest in our team members to support their long-term growth so they can continue to advance our mission and achieve their highest potential.
Join a team committed to taking big leaps forward for a global community of healthcare professionals and their patients. Together, let's advance the world of minimally invasive care.
Primary function of the position:
The Senior Optical Design Engineer has a deep knowledge in technical optics. They are able to design endoscope lenses. They are responsible for optical design and develops new endoscope lenses department- and group-wide. They identifiy new optical technologies to improve vison possibilities in minimally invasive robot-assisted surgery.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Acts as optic developer for cross-company optics development.
- Design and validate new endoscope lenses
- Analyze optical systems by using straylight analysis methods
- Ensure feasibility of new optical systems concerning quality, producibility and reliability
- Develops and validates new measurement methods for optical laboratory setups.
- Develops new analysis algorithms for the evaluation of optical systems.
- Support development of optical and opto-electrical tests to qualify and verify quality and performance of optical systems together with international partners (external and internal)
- Support data analyze during product testing, qualification and validation
- Must be able to communicate effectively and accurately (written and oral) across all levels and functions, including presenting to a technical audience.
- Identify new optical technologies
- Teach colleagues in optical topics.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Deep knowledge in lens design and technical optics
- Minimum BE or BS with a minimum of 8 years, or ME/MS with a minimum of 6 years work experience. Optical Engineering, Microsystems Engineering or equivalent, professional work experience in designing of optical and opto-electrical products, preferred in the medical-field.
- Hands-on engineering with the proven ability to work well in a team environment
- Capability in all phases of the product development lifecycle including design, implementation, debug, verification, qualification, and transfer
- Experience with software systems (i.e. Zemax, Code V, ASAP, FRED)
- Experience in programming in Python is an advantage
- Excellent documentation and technical skills and the ability to communicate in English at all levels of the organization, both verbally and in writing
- Work well in a multi-cultural team environment, including team members in remote locations
- Willingness to travel for several days within Europe and USA is assumed (up to approx. 10% per year).
Due to the nature of our business and the role, please note that Intuitive and/or your customer(s) may require that you show current proof of vaccination against certain diseases including COVID-19. Details can vary by role.
Intuitive is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees, and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type, without regard to race, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran or disability status, genetic information or any other status protected under federal, state, or local applicable laws.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.
Preference will be given to qualified candidates who do not reside, or plan to reside, in Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, or Tennessee.
We provide market-competitive compensation packages, inclusive of base pay, incentives, benefits, and equity. It would not be typical for someone to be hired at the top end of range for the role, as actual pay will be determined based on several factors, including experience, skills, and qualifications. The target salary ranges are listed.
Base Salary Range Region 1: $155,800 USD - $224,200 USD
Base Salary Range Region 2: $132,400 USD - $190,600 USD
Travel: 10% of the time
Workplace Type: Onsite - This job is fully onsite.