Company DescriptionAt Intuitive, we are united behind our mission: we believe that minimally invasive care is life-enhancing care. Through ingenuity and intelligent technology, we expand the potential of physicians to heal without constraints.
As a pioneer and market leader in robotic-assisted surgery, we strive to foster an inclusive and diverse team, committed to making a difference. For more than 25 years, we have worked with hospitals and care teams around the world to help solve some of healthcare's hardest challenges and advance what is possible.
Intuitive has been built by the efforts of great people from diverse backgrounds. We believe great ideas can come from anywhere. We strive to foster an inclusive culture built around diversity of thought and mutual respect. We lead with inclusion and empower our team members to do their best work as their most authentic selves.
Passionate people who want to make a difference drive our culture. Our team members are grounded in integrity, have a strong capacity to learn, the energy to get things done, and bring diverse, real world experiences to help us think in new ways. We actively invest in our team members to support their long-term growth so they can continue to advance our mission and achieve their highest potential.
Join a team committed to taking big leaps forward for a global community of healthcare professionals and their patients. Together, let's advance the world of minimally invasive care.
This position is responsible for control and safety algorithms required to support new instruments and accessories of the daVinci Surgical System. Skills required will include robot kinematics, control systems, and a solid understanding of electro-mechanical systems.
You will be responsible for the teleoperated motion and force fidelity of new surgical instruments, and integration of new accessories with the robot. This will involve:
- Working closely with the clinical development team to understand requirements for instruments and accessories performance
- Using analysis and experimentation to develop a deep understanding of the behavior and limitations of the mechanism
- Working closely with the mechanical design team to characterize and optimize the mechanism for performance and safety
- Modifying and tuning the algorithms that will control the behavior of the mechanism
- Implementing new feature sets as well as maintaining the existing ones in software
You will be responsible for risk analysis, and implementation of safety algorithms. You will be responsible for documentation of risks, requirements, and test protocols in order to support requests for approval by regulatory agencies such as the FDA.
You will be responsible for working with the manufacturing team to develop automated fixtures for calibrating, testing, and aiding assembly of the instrument. You will be responsible for setting manufacturing test specifications that will ensure mechanical performance.
You are expected to have a breadth of technical knowledge that enables a top-level view of the entire project. Using this perspective, you will act as an interface between the various technical specialties. You are expected to take ownership of issues that crosses the boundaries of several disciplines and use your broad skillset to ensure the success of the project.
- Minimum PhD plus at least 3 years of experience, in robotics-related field.
- Demonstrate intuitive understanding of electro-mechanical phenomena with ability to do rigorous and detailed analysis.
- C/C++ and Matlab programming skills, as well as hardware, software, and mechanism integration skills. Knowledge of Python would be a plus.
- Knowledge of classical and modern servo control systems.
- Knowledge of robot kinematics.
- Knowledge of statistical methods is a plus.
- Knowledge of electrical and mechanical design principles and CAD tools is a plus.
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Have the ability to work independently, and the determination to get through challenging problems.
Due to the nature of our business and the role, please note that Intuitive and/or your customer(s) may require that you show current proof of vaccination against certain diseases including COVID-19. Details can vary by role.
Intuitive is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees, and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type, without regard to race, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran or disability status, genetic information or any other status protected under federal, state, or local applicable laws.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.
Preference will be given to qualified candidates who do not reside, or plan to reside, in Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, or Tennessee.
We provide market-competitive compensation packages, inclusive of base pay, incentives, benefits, and equity. It would not be typical for someone to be hired at the top end of range for the role, as actual pay will be determined based on several factors, including experience, skills, and qualifications. The target salary ranges are listed.
Base Salary Range Region 1: $164,000 USD - $236,000 USD
Base Salary Range Region 2: $139,400 USD - $200,600 USD
Workplace Type: Onsite - This job is fully onsite.