Company DescriptionAt Intuitive, we are united behind our mission: we believe that minimally invasive care is life-enhancing care. Through ingenuity and intelligent technology, we expand the potential of physicians to heal without constraints.
As a pioneer and market leader in robotic-assisted surgery, we strive to foster an inclusive and diverse team, committed to making a difference. For more than 25 years, we have worked with hospitals and care teams around the world to help solve some of healthcare's hardest challenges and advance what is possible.
Intuitive has been built by the efforts of great people from diverse backgrounds. We believe great ideas can come from anywhere. We strive to foster an inclusive culture built around diversity of thought and mutual respect. We lead with inclusion and empower our team members to do their best work as their most authentic selves.
Passionate people who want to make a difference drive our culture. Our team members are grounded in integrity, have a strong capacity to learn, the energy to get things done, and bring diverse, real world experiences to help us think in new ways. We actively invest in our team members to support their long-term growth so they can continue to advance our mission and achieve their highest potential.
Join a team committed to taking big leaps forward for a global community of healthcare professionals and their patients. Together, let's advance the world of minimally invasive care.
Primary Function of Position:
The Senior Clinical Development Engineer (CDE) uses their in-depth knowledge of the surgical environment and medical technology to work with design engineers and clinicians to define, develop, and validate the clinical function of new products within our multi-port and single-port surgical robotic platforms. The primary focus of the CDE is to establish and validate data-driven clinical requirements to ensure a high-quality patient outcome.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Apply in-depth knowledge of the operating room environment and of the da Vinci Surgical Systems to become an expert within the company on the clinical application of Intuitive’s products
- Provide a clinical voice to product development by defining and assessing clinical performance of new products
- Collaborate with marketing partners and clinicians to identify and understand clinical needs
- Use an analytical approach to identify potential product enhancements and new product ideas
- Take an active role in new product development teams, including contributing to design reviews, and providing design guidance to engineering design teams
- Assess and document clinical risks, and identify appropriate mitigations
- Conduct pre-clinical testing to validate the safety and efficacy of new products
- Support regulatory documentation and submissions
- Provide subject matter expertise to user manual and training documentation development
- Support clinical evaluation of new products at key customer sites
- Maintain current knowledge of clinical applications of Intuitive’s products
- Keep Intuitive’s vision and values at the forefront of decision making
- Perform other duties as required to support the company’s overall strategy and goals
Skills, Experience, Education, & Training:
- Minimum of B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, or similar, advanced degree preferred
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in medical device industry with a B.S, 6 years experience with an M.S, or 3 years with a PhD
- Experience working with surgeons in an operating room environment
- Fluent in surgical terminology and sound knowledge of anatomy and surgical technique
- Excellent mechanical aptitude and intuition for spatial relations, including the ability to understand complex mechanical products
- Excellent analytical capability and practical skills to develop test methods and draw conclusions
- Excellent teamwork skills with proven ability to cultivate collaboration across multiple disciplines
- Effective communication skills (verbal, written, presentation)
- Proven success recognizing critical issues and driving them to closure by taking coordinated action
- Self-starter needing minimal supervision
- Self-confident and able to react quickly under pressure
- Ability to travel up to 25% of the time, internationally and domestic
- For positions related to development of the optical system, the ability to have near and far visual acuity (clarity between 12 inches and 20 feet with or without corrective lenses), stereoscopy, and the ability to see all colors is required.
Due to the nature of our business and the role, please note that Intuitive and/or your customer(s) may require that you show current proof of vaccination against certain diseases including COVID-19. Details can vary by role.
Intuitive is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees, and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type, without regard to race, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran or disability status, genetic information or any other status protected under federal, state, or local applicable laws.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.
Preference will be given to qualified candidates who do not reside, or plan to reside, in Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, or Tennessee.
We provide market-competitive compensation packages, inclusive of base pay, incentives, benefits, and equity. It would not be typical for someone to be hired at the top end of range for the role, as actual pay will be determined based on several factors, including experience, skills, and qualifications. The target salary ranges are listed.
Base Salary Range Region 1: $164,000 USD - $236,000 USD
Base Salary Range Region 2: $139,400 USD - $200,600 USD
Travel: 25% of the time
Workplace Type: Set Schedule - This job will be onsite weekly, the percentage of onsite work will be defined by the leader.