Company DescriptionAt Intuitive, we are united behind our mission: we believe that minimally invasive care is life-enhancing care. Through ingenuity and intelligent technology, we expand the potential of physicians to heal without constraints.
As a pioneer and market leader in robotic-assisted surgery, we strive to foster an inclusive and diverse team, committed to making a difference. For more than 25 years, we have worked with hospitals and care teams around the world to help solve some of healthcare's hardest challenges and advance what is possible.
Intuitive has been built by the efforts of great people from diverse backgrounds. We believe great ideas can come from anywhere. We strive to foster an inclusive culture built around diversity of thought and mutual respect. We lead with inclusion and empower our team members to do their best work as their most authentic selves.
Passionate people who want to make a difference drive our culture. Our team members are grounded in integrity, have a strong capacity to learn, the energy to get things done, and bring diverse, real world experiences to help us think in new ways. We actively invest in our team members to support their long-term growth so they can continue to advance our mission and achieve their highest potential.
Join a team committed to taking big leaps forward for a global community of healthcare professionals and their patients. Together, let's advance the world of minimally invasive care.
Primary Function of Position:
The Core Technologies Engineering (CTE) group within Intuitive has an immediate opening in Sunnyvale, CA for a software engineer with a focus on the internal da Vinci emulator. You will be on a small team responsible for building, deploying, and supporting our full-system emulator and hybrid hardware-in-the-loop setups.
A successful candidate must excel in a high-energy focused team environment and must balance delivery of new features, supporting existing features, and tracking system changes. An excellent candidate can rapidly learn the large complex and continually evolving systems, through establishing working relationships with multiple engineers in multiple departments and direct experimentation with the existing system. A deep sense of shared responsibility and shared reward is required, as is the ability to make work fun and interesting. As part of the CTE team, immediate responsibilities include:
- Expand the functionality of the internal da Vinci emulator by faithfully emulating microcontrollers, sensors, FPGAs, and physics models.
- Learn and explore the continuously evolving da Vinci system software and firmware.
- Explore creative ways to faithfully emulate da Vinci hardware.
- A vigorous advocate for hardware “simulation first” that educates developer on the productivity benefits of using the emulator.
- Continuously follow up with developers (i.e. our internal customers) to support feature requests, bug fixes, and system integration.
- Minimum of 8 years of related experience with a University degree; or 6 years experience and a Master’s degree; or a PhD with 3 years experience
- Extensive experience understanding and debugging complex systems
- Excellent knowledge of Software Engineering and Computer Science fundamentals
- Experience using C/C++ and Python
- Some experience with Linux process management, signals, and interprocess communication is advantageous
- Working knowledge of or willingness to learn microcontrollers and embedded software for memory-mapped I/O
- Some experience with Docker and Git is a plus
- Proficient communication skills and the ability to present to a diverse range of talented engineers
Due to the nature of our business and the role, please note that Intuitive and/or your customer(s) may require that you show current proof of vaccination against certain diseases including COVID-19. Details can vary by role.
Intuitive is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees, and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type, without regard to race, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran or disability status, genetic information or any other status protected under federal, state, or local applicable laws.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.
Preference will be given to qualified candidates who do not reside, or plan to reside, in Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, or Tennessee.
We provide market-competitive compensation packages, inclusive of base pay, incentives, benefits, and equity. It would not be typical for someone to be hired at the top end of range for the role, as actual pay will be determined based on several factors, including experience, skills, and qualifications. The target salary ranges are listed.
Base Salary Range Region 1: $176,300 USD - $253,700 USD
Base Salary Range Region 2: $149,900 USD - $215,700 USD
Workplace Type: Set Schedule - This job will be onsite weekly, the percentage of onsite work will be defined by the leader.