Company DescriptionAt Intuitive, we are united behind our mission: we believe that minimally invasive care is life-enhancing care. Through ingenuity and intelligent technology, we expand the potential of physicians to heal without constraints.
As a pioneer and market leader in robotic-assisted surgery, we strive to foster an inclusive and diverse team, committed to making a difference. For more than 25 years, we have worked with hospitals and care teams around the world to help solve some of healthcare's hardest challenges and advance what is possible.
Intuitive has been built by the efforts of great people from diverse backgrounds. We believe great ideas can come from anywhere. We strive to foster an inclusive culture built around diversity of thought and mutual respect. We lead with inclusion and empower our team members to do their best work as their most authentic selves.
Passionate people who want to make a difference drive our culture. Our team members are grounded in integrity, have a strong capacity to learn, the energy to get things done, and bring diverse, real world experiences to help us think in new ways. We actively invest in our team members to support their long-term growth so they can continue to advance our mission and achieve their highest potential.
Join a team committed to taking big leaps forward for a global community of healthcare professionals and their patients. Together, let's advance the world of minimally invasive care.
Primary Function of Position:
Serve as Legal and Compliance Counsel for the Taiwan business of a US-based high growth leader in the medical device industry. The position will manage a variety of legal issues for a wide range of stakeholders, focusing on maintaining the capacity, processes, and infrastructure to enable business and protect company assets and reputation consistent with instructions from Corporate Legal. This “hands on” position will work closely with Intuitive Surgical Taiwan Leadership team, Legal, Privacy, and Compliance teams in the US and across APAC region to support the business in Taiwan, ensuring company and legal compliance in the sales of Intuitive’s products and services, in a fast-paced environment under tight deadlines.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Provide legal counsel and support to Intuitive Surgical Taiwan leadership team and its commercial operations.
- Act as an escalation path for customer sales contracts and related agreements in support of the Sales Contracts team.
- Assist the Contracts team to establish an effective tender process to support Intuitive Taiwan’s public procurement and customer finance efforts.
- In coordination with US-based Global Compliance team, advise the Taiwan business with respect to healthcare compliance in concert with applicable local and international laws as well as industry codes of conduct.
- Draft, review, and negotiate commercial agreements including grants, sponsorship, marketing, market access, customer training, clinical study, product evaluation, MOUs, official letters, and other business agreements.
- In collaboration with and at the direction of the Global Privacy & Data Protection team, provide privacy and data protection support, advice, and counsel to the business.
- Ensure all agreements are stored and maintained, for easy retrieval, in approved agreements repository/database.
- Continuously evaluate and update relevant processes and procedures.
- Provide thought leadership on industry developments as well as on the development and implementation of operational and risk management processes and procedures related to Intuitive Surgical Taiwan’s business.
- Manage the successful delivery of services by outside counsel and the outside legal counsel mix and budgets to align with organizational goals and financial objectives.
- Minimum 10+ years legal and compliance experience, strongly preferring (i) some experience in medical device, life sciences, or FDA regulated industry, (ii) at least 5 years as in-house counsel, and (iii) at least 5 years of APAC compliance experience.
- Strong contract drafting and negotiation skills, including experience with commercial agreement matters.
- Some familiarity with litigation and advocacy a plus
- Experience counseling on or providing training related to antitrust/competition issues that come up in a day-to-day business context, including activities related to pricing, interactions with and about competitors, a plus.
- Several years of law firm or government agency legal experience required.
- Exceptional organizational skills, good business sense, problem-solving skills, and attention to detail.
- Highly professional, considerate, motivated, and able to work independently.
- Comfortable being part of a global team and ability to deal with versatile business risks, including employment, litigation, real estate, etc., in consultation and coordination with the global legal team.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously within a rapidly changing environment.
- Ability to manage outside counsel and influence cross functionally.
- Strong Taiwanese Chinese and English with excellent oral and written communication skills at various organizations levels.
- Multi-national environment experience.
- Minimum Law degree (LLM a plus).
- Admission to the Taiwanese Bar (Concurrent admission to the Bar of any EU country and/or a US State is a plus).
- Some travel required.
Intuitive is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees, and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type, without regard to race, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran or disability status, genetic information or any other status protected under federal, state, or local applicable laws.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.
Travel: 10% of the time