Company DescriptionAt Intuitive, we are united behind our mission: we believe that minimally invasive care is life-enhancing care. Through ingenuity and intelligent technology, we expand the potential of physicians to heal without constraints.
As a pioneer and market leader in robotic-assisted surgery, we strive to foster an inclusive and diverse team, committed to making a difference. For more than 25 years, we have worked with hospitals and care teams around the world to help solve some of healthcare's hardest challenges and advance what is possible.
Intuitive has been built by the efforts of great people from diverse backgrounds. We believe great ideas can come from anywhere. We strive to foster an inclusive culture built around diversity of thought and mutual respect. We lead with inclusion and empower our team members to do their best work as their most authentic selves.
Passionate people who want to make a difference drive our culture. Our team members are grounded in integrity, have a strong capacity to learn, the energy to get things done, and bring diverse, real world experiences to help us think in new ways. We actively invest in our team members to support their long-term growth so they can continue to advance our mission and achieve their highest potential.
Join a team committed to taking big leaps forward for a global community of healthcare professionals and their patients. Together, let's advance the world of minimally invasive care.
The Software Engineering Manager (Embedded UI) is responsible for managing a team that creates a consistent and high quality user experience for the da Vinci product line, including robotic systems, instruments and accessories. This manager’s primary focus is to lead a team that implements graphical user interfaces, and software infrastructure on an embedded system, primarily using embedded Linux, Qt/C++. The manager works with a variety of cross-functional roles including interaction design, visual design, human factor engineering, and clinical development engineering to define, test and iterate on the system user interface. The scope of the role ranges from early product definition and development phases through to product launch and sustaining.
The successful candidate is a hands-on technical manager that excels in a high-energy, focused, small-team environment, able to drive to solutions from rough requirements, and has a commitment to high product quality. A strong sense of shared responsibility and shared reward is critical.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Lead user interface development for the da Vinci product line by driving technical development efforts for 2D and 3D user interfaces
- Provide architectural guidance and oversight to drive software reliability, modularity, and extensibility
- Dedicate 40% time to hands-on software development, such as architectural enhancements, UI infrastructure development, and prototyping advanced UI features
- Recruit and retain creative and capable software engineering professionals
- Assign tasks, set priorities, establish metrics and track progress
- Assess employee performance and provide coaching to improve performance.
- Act as an internal champion of product usability by collaborating with interaction design, visual design, clinical development and human factors
- Collaborate with mechanical and electrical engineers as well as other software engineering groups to integrate user interface hardware and realize innovative interface concepts in new products
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in software engineering, with 1-3 years as a functional manager or project lead
- Minimum Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or other engineering discipline, or equivalent work experience
- Experience in all phases of the software life cycle including design, implementation, debug, verification and maintenance; experience with embedded systems a plus
- Excellent teamwork skills with proven ability to collaborate across multiple disciplines
- Strong people management abilities with ability to ensure team success
- Experience with GUI development frameworks using C/C++;
- Experience with embedded UI on Linux with Qt is a plus
- Experience with 3D graphics frameworks (such as OpenGL) is a plus
- Passionate for delivering the best possible experience to the user
Due to the nature of our business and the role, please note that Intuitive and/or your customer(s) may require that you show current proof of vaccination against certain diseases including COVID-19. Details can vary by role.
Intuitive is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees, and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type, without regard to race, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran or disability status, genetic information or any other status protected under federal, state, or local applicable laws.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.
Preference will be given to qualified candidates who do not reside, or plan to reside, in Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, or Tennessee.
We provide market-competitive compensation packages, inclusive of base pay, incentives, benefits, and equity. It would not be typical for someone to be hired at the top end of range for the role, as actual pay will be determined based on several factors, including experience, skills, and qualifications. The target salary ranges are listed.
Base Salary Range Region 1: $192,700 USD - $277,300 USD
Base Salary Range Region 2: $163,800 USD - $235,800 USD
Workplace Type: Set Schedule - This job will be onsite weekly, the percentage of onsite work will be defined by the leader.