Company DescriptionAt Intuitive, we are united behind our mission: we believe that minimally invasive care is life-enhancing care. Through ingenuity and intelligent technology, we expand the potential of physicians to heal without constraints.
As a pioneer and market leader in robotic-assisted surgery, we strive to foster an inclusive and diverse team, committed to making a difference. For more than 25 years, we have worked with hospitals and care teams around the world to help solve some of healthcare's hardest challenges and advance what is possible.
Intuitive has been built by the efforts of great people from diverse backgrounds. We believe great ideas can come from anywhere. We strive to foster an inclusive culture built around diversity of thought and mutual respect. We lead with inclusion and empower our team members to do their best work as their most authentic selves.
Passionate people who want to make a difference drive our culture. Our team members are grounded in integrity, have a strong capacity to learn, the energy to get things done, and bring diverse, real world experiences to help us think in new ways. We actively invest in our team members to support their long-term growth so they can continue to advance our mission and achieve their highest potential.
Join a team committed to taking big leaps forward for a global community of healthcare professionals and their patients. Together, let's advance the world of minimally invasive care.
Primary Function of Position:
The Staff Mechanical Engineer must utilize creativity and sound engineering judgment in the design of parts and subassemblies of next generation mechanical systems for medical capital equipment. The Staff Mechanical Engineer is expected to use machine design and analytical skills to conceptualize, develop, and verify new mechanical designs.
They are responsible for major components from concept, design, verification, and product launch. They provide technical leadership and inspire and guide and guide the team to successful product launches.
The Staff Mechanical Engineer should be capable of making sound decisions when faced with time constraints and ambiguous or incomplete information typical a research and development environment. They will interface with suppliers and manufacturing to build high-quality hardware prototypes and productize new designs. Apply today and join one of the most exciting design teams working on world-class surgical robotics.
A successful candidate may not have deep background in all of the roles and skills below. If you have background in several roles and skills you are encouraged to apply.
- Roles & Responsibilities:
- Design components and produce mechanical drawings in a regulated environment for volume manufacturing processes. May include billet machined parts, sheet metal enclosures, cast metal, injection molded plastic, sheet metal stamped, etc.
- Create and manage design requirements, specifications, failure-modes analysis, and associated verification and validation testing
- Perform various types of detailed engineering analyses (tolerance stack, process simulation, structural FEA) to ensure fit/form/function of complex tooled parts
- Support production via troubleshooting process and component problems, acting as a primary troubleshooter for line down issue recovery
- Rapid development and iteration of full-scale prototypes of candidate designs and that satisfy design requirements.
- Collaborate with manufacturing to create product assembly tooling, fixtures and instructions.
- Mentoring and coaching other engineers in problem solving and technical expertise
Skills, Experience, Education, & Training:
- Minimum BSME or similar. Post-graduate study or equivalent work experience preferred
- Minimum of ten (10) years of experience with machine design, preferably robot or mechanical systems design experience. Surgical product experience is a plus
- Interest in the medical applications of robotics and mechanical systems
- Demonstrated aptitude in architecting and designing electromechanical assemblies and systems with careful consideration for drivetrain components, servo motors, sensors, safety mechanisms, and failure contingencies.
- Strong experience in ASME Y14.5 GD&T
- Passion for details in creating robust and reliable designs for mission-critical applications. Strong analysis, hands-on prototyping, and performance and reliability testing skills
- Proficiency using CAD, FEA or other advanced analysis tools to design components, assemblies, and to create technical drawings in a PDM environment. SolidWorks experience preferred
- Detail-oriented in creating reliable systems that harmonize multiple requirements, e.g. structural, thermal, packaging, acoustic, cleanability, ergonomics, user-interface.
- Thorough understanding of engineering materials, component selection criteria, and design for reliability and manufacturability
- Comfortable with all phases of the product development lifecycle including design, implementation, debug, verification, qualification, and transfer
- Excellent communication (written, oral) and interpersonal skills, and ability to communicate effectively. Experience launching multiple products
- Ability to execute and document component and assembly changes in an automated change control system and ability to demonstrate that the changes are justifiable through analysis and testing
- Preferred to have experience launching multiple electromechanical systems in a regulated environment
- Preferred to have demonstrated effective collaboration with cross-functional teams like system analysts, field/clinical engineers, human factors, industrial design, UI design, etc.
- Preferred to have experience designing for volume manufacturing processes such as metal casting, plastic injection molding, sheet metal stamping, compression molding, thermoforming, etc.
- Self-driven with the ability to excel in a high-energy, small, focused team environment and maintain a strong sense of shared responsibility and shared reward. Contributes to a positive and fun work environment.
Due to the nature of our business and the role, please note that Intuitive and/or your customer(s) may require that you show current proof of vaccination against certain diseases including COVID-19. Details can vary by role.
Intuitive is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees, and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type, without regard to race, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran or disability status, genetic information or any other status protected under federal, state, or local applicable laws.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.
Preference will be given to qualified candidates who do not reside, or plan to reside, in Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, or Tennessee.
We provide market-competitive compensation packages, inclusive of base pay, incentives, benefits, and equity. It would not be typical for someone to be hired at the top end of range for the role, as actual pay will be determined based on several factors, including experience, skills, and qualifications. The target salary ranges are listed.
Base Salary Range Region 1: $172,200 USD - $247,800 USD
Base Salary Range Region 2: $146,400 USD - $210,600 USD
Travel: 10% of the time
Workplace Type: Set Schedule - This job will be onsite weekly, the percentage of onsite work will be defined by the leader.