Company DescriptionAt Intuitive, we are united behind our mission: we believe that minimally invasive care is life-enhancing care. Through ingenuity and intelligent technology, we expand the potential of physicians to heal without constraints.
As a pioneer and market leader in robotic-assisted surgery, we strive to foster an inclusive and diverse team, committed to making a difference. For more than 25 years, we have worked with hospitals and care teams around the world to help solve some of healthcare's hardest challenges and advance what is possible.
Intuitive has been built by the efforts of great people from diverse backgrounds. We believe great ideas can come from anywhere. We strive to foster an inclusive culture built around diversity of thought and mutual respect. We lead with inclusion and empower our team members to do their best work as their most authentic selves.
Passionate people who want to make a difference drive our culture. Our team members are grounded in integrity, have a strong capacity to learn, the energy to get things done, and bring diverse, real world experiences to help us think in new ways. We actively invest in our team members to support their long-term growth so they can continue to advance our mission and achieve their highest potential.
Join a team committed to taking big leaps forward for a global community of healthcare professionals and their patients. Together, let's advance the world of minimally invasive care.
Our team designs and builds the embedded software platform for next-generation surgical robotic systems. We’re looking for a high energy, talented, engineer to contribute broadly to the embedded software stack.
We are a small group that works in a focused, high-energy environment. We believe in applying first principles thinking, data driven decision making, continuous learning, systematic planning to deliver results and achieve our goals.
- Are you passionate about technology? Do you want to have a direct impact on helping people live better lives?
- Interested in the medical applications of robotics?
- Do you like to build complex distributed systems?
- Does working in a multidisciplinary, systems-oriented design team sound exciting?
You’ll be joining the team responsible for developing several generations of our flagship product, the daVinci Xi, to develop new surgical robotic systems. You’ll have the opportunity and responsibility to own development of your features, end to end. From concept to cross functional requirements gathering, to implementation, test and verification, success is in your hands.
You’ll be a hands-on engineer, working shoulder to shoulder with the team, programming system software on state-of-the-art SOMs & SoCs deeply embedded in the robotic system, but you are in your heart, an integrator.
You deeply understand the technical complexities of your domain, represent the Platform software team in cross functional settings, debug complex issues as they arise, and come up with solutions.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Own design and development of Linux distributions and kernels and build them using Yocto, Bitbake, and supporting scripts. Develop a seamless over-the-air upgrade and downgrade solution for Linux distributions and bootloaders in our robotic systems.
- Bring up powerful multicore ARM-based SOMs and hundreds of GPU cores enabling video, Machine Learning, AI, and other applications to facilitate surgical robotic applications.
- Integrate vendor-provided pre-built bootloader and kernel binaries into the software development workflow.
- Profile operating systems for performance issues and drive optimizations to resolve them.
- Integrate new releases of Yocto SDKs and toolchains into the customized Linux build process.
- Design build scripts to support cybersecurity encryption and signing of embedded software
- A natural communicator with high attention to detail
- Possess a commitment to the highest product quality
- Passionate about developing cross-platform Linux images.
- Experience with Linux kernel engineering, filesystems, process management, and performance profiling.
- Hands-on experience customizing Linux packages using Yocto, Bitbake, and/or OpenEmbedded.
- Proficiency in C, C++, Python, and bash scripting languages.
- Build system experience using cmake, bazel, and/or makefile.
- Familiarity with secure boot, encrypted filesystems, and TPM.
- Minimum 4 years industry experience developing and supporting embedded systems.
- Minimum Bachelor or Master degree in Software/Computer Engineering or related field
- In-depth knowledge of NVIDIA Jetson module architectures such as TX2, Xavier, and Orin is a huge plus.
- Experience contributing to Linux kernel development or other open-source software is a plus.
- Experience with designing software products in an FDA or other regulated industry or for mission critical applications; comfort with concepts of design input, design output, traceability, and risk analysis, and mitigations
Due to the nature of our business and the role, please note that Intuitive and/or your customer(s) may require that you show current proof of vaccination against certain diseases including COVID-19. Details can vary by role.
Intuitive is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees, and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type, without regard to race, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran or disability status, genetic information or any other status protected under federal, state, or local applicable laws.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.
Preference will be given to qualified candidates who do not reside, or plan to reside, in Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, or Tennessee.
We provide market-competitive compensation packages, inclusive of base pay, incentives, benefits, and equity. It would not be typical for someone to be hired at the top end of range for the role, as actual pay will be determined based on several factors, including experience, skills, and qualifications. The target salary ranges are listed.
Base Salary Range Region 1: $176,300 USD - $253,700 USD
Base Salary Range Region 2: $149,900 USD - $215,700 USD
Workplace Type: Set Schedule - This job will be onsite weekly, the percentage of onsite work will be defined by the leader.