Company DescriptionAt Intuitive, we are united behind our mission: we believe that minimally invasive care is life-enhancing care. Through ingenuity and intelligent technology, we expand the potential of physicians to heal without constraints.
As a pioneer and market leader in robotic-assisted surgery, we strive to foster an inclusive and diverse team, committed to making a difference. For more than 25 years, we have worked with hospitals and care teams around the world to help solve some of healthcare's hardest challenges and advance what is possible.
Intuitive has been built by the efforts of great people from diverse backgrounds. We believe great ideas can come from anywhere. We strive to foster an inclusive culture built around diversity of thought and mutual respect. We lead with inclusion and empower our team members to do their best work as their most authentic selves.
Passionate people who want to make a difference drive our culture. Our team members are grounded in integrity, have a strong capacity to learn, the energy to get things done, and bring diverse, real world experiences to help us think in new ways. We actively invest in our team members to support their long-term growth so they can continue to advance our mission and achieve their highest potential.
Join a team committed to taking big leaps forward for a global community of healthcare professionals and their patients. Together, let's advance the world of minimally invasive care.
Primary Function of Position:
We are looking for a Clinical Scientist / Clinical Data Scientist to lead the development and execution of a novel evidence strategy that uses diverse data sets (including log files, study data, survey data, clinical databases etc.) to inform business decisions and to create evidence that supports the ongoing success of the Ion platform.
In addition, this role will be heavily involved in all aspects of a global clinical and economic evidence program, and will be instrumental in assisting with strategy and managing execution.
The ideal candidate will be skilled at independently forming and testing clinical hypotheses using a variety of data sources, and partnering closely with data science, clinical affairs, health economics, commercial, and other cross-functional teams to ensure that the resulting insights benefit our customers and accelerate our regulatory and reimbursement goals.
While this is not a technical role, preference will be given to candidates that have good familiarity with coding environments, including development experience in R, SQL, and/or Python. The intent for this role is to partner closely with our technical teams, and we are looking for candidates with strong technical and clinical backgrounds.
Roles & Responsibilities:
This position has responsibility and authority to:
- Design and execute a clinical data science strategy, including:
- Using customer needs, regulatory requirements, and business goals to define a comprehensive strategy that: (1) states the hypotheses to be tested, (2) defines the appropriate data sources for testing and validating stated hypotheses, and (3) translates the resulting data insights into business results.
- Partnering with data science to project manage the execution of the strategy, and ensuring that business goals are achieved on schedule.
- Overseeing annotation teams as necessary to successfully execute strategy.
- Partnering with clinical affairs, clinical development engineering, health economics and other teams to disseminate evidence and demonstrate a positive customer impact.
- Analyze users behaviors and human-technology interaction and predict clinical outcomes.
- Partner with cross-functional teams to assist with the design and execution of a global clinical & economic evidence strategy for the Ion platform:
- Able to drive both short- and long-range objectives to achieve results: ensuring the team consistently meets its targets, goals, and objectives.
- Able to project manage multiple wortkstreams simultaneously, while adapting to changes in strategy and ensuring open and enaged communication with all stakeholders.
- Works through complex issues faced by the team that require an in-depth knowledge of the company, business objectives and cultural values.
- Participates with other senior leaders to establish strategic plans and objectives.
- Develops strong and enduring relationships internally and externally.
Skills, Experience, Education, & Training:
In order to adequately perform the responsibilities of this position the individual must have:
Core Competencies, Skills, and Experience Requirements:
- Minimum 8 years of professional experience preferred (or Masters plus 6 years, or PhD/MD plus 3 years) with minimum 3 years experience in medical device data science, clinical research, product management, R&D, or similar role.
- Familiarity with programming in R, SQL, and/or Python, or similar languages
- Degree in a quantitative field (computer science, statistics, engineering, applied mathematics). Advanced degree and/or MD / PhD preferred.
- Experience and knowledge in clinical settings, including understanding of patient care pathways, particularly in the pulmonary domain.
- Experience and knowledge for how to build digital solutions with a secure infrastructure handling PII and PHI
- Passionate, driven individual who can set a high-level strategy and track the details of execution
- Skilled at translating clinical, financial, strategic, and technical content into a clear sense of purpose that effectively motivates and engages the team outside of direct span of influence.
- Familiar with quantitative clinical research and biostatistics
- Proven ability to collaborate across multiple disciplines and ability to influence cross-functional teams.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Maintains the highest of clinical research standards to ensure validity and reproducibility of results
- Ability to work in clinical labs and hospital patient care areas is required.
- Ability to travel 10% - 20%. Some international travel required.
In addition to the core competencies, preference will be given to candidates with the following:
- Experience building statistical/predictive machine learning models
- Experience working in interdisciplinary teams, including across both traditional biostatistics and data science/machine learning domains
- Experience in data science / biostatistics, machine learning, clinical/health outcomes research, digital health technology assessment, in academic or industrial settings
- Maintains knowledge of current and emerging trends in data science
Due to the nature of our business and the role, please note that Intuitive and/or your customer(s) may require that you show current proof of vaccination against certain diseases including COVID-19. Details can vary by role.
Intuitive is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees, and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type, without regard to race, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran or disability status, genetic information or any other status protected under federal, state, or local applicable laws.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.
Preference will be given to qualified candidates who do not reside, or plan to reside, in Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, or Tennessee.
We provide market-competitive compensation packages, inclusive of base pay, incentives, benefits, and equity. It would not be typical for someone to be hired at the top end of range for the role, as actual pay will be determined based on several factors, including experience, skills, and qualifications. The target salary ranges are listed.
Base Salary Range Region 1: $164,000 USD - $236,000 USD
Base Salary Range Region 2: $139,400 USD - $200,600 USD
Travel: 25% of the time
Workplace Type: Set Schedule - This job will be onsite weekly, the percentage of onsite work will be defined by the leader.