Company DescriptionAt Intuitive, we are united behind our mission: we believe that minimally invasive care is life-enhancing care. Through ingenuity and intelligent technology, we expand the potential of physicians to heal without constraints.
As a pioneer and market leader in robotic-assisted surgery, we strive to foster an inclusive and diverse team, committed to making a difference. For more than 25 years, we have worked with hospitals and care teams around the world to help solve some of healthcare's hardest challenges and advance what is possible.
Intuitive has been built by the efforts of great people from diverse backgrounds. We believe great ideas can come from anywhere. We strive to foster an inclusive culture built around diversity of thought and mutual respect. We lead with inclusion and empower our team members to do their best work as their most authentic selves.
Passionate people who want to make a difference drive our culture. Our team members are grounded in integrity, have a strong capacity to learn, the energy to get things done, and bring diverse, real world experiences to help us think in new ways. We actively invest in our team members to support their long-term growth so they can continue to advance our mission and achieve their highest potential.
Join a team committed to taking big leaps forward for a global community of healthcare professionals and their patients. Together, let's advance the world of minimally invasive care.
Primary Function of Position:
Lead efforts within the Automation, Equipment, and Test Group to ensure that Intuitive consistently meets customer demand and product quality requirements by planning and executing projects to build, order, bring up, and qualify manufacturing equipment and developing test software. Expertise with custom equipment design and construction best practices will be leveraged to ensure that the manufacturing equipment is scalable and supportable in a multi-national manufacturing environment. Success in this role will depend on the ability to manage numerous concurrent complex projects while maintaining the highest possible quality standards. This management role will involve proposing, specifying, and managing projects performed by contractors and vendors, as well as managing engineers and technicians within the equipment and test group in the documentation, fabrication, bring-up, and qualification of sophisticated automated manufacturing equipment, including electro-mechanical production equipment, test equipment, data acquisition systems, tooling, and fixtures. Successful execution of these responsibilities will facilitate the achievement of quality, capacity, and cost goals for ISI's manufacturing operations. The ideal candidate will have experience achieving results through others, managing a wide range of complex project teams, and developing complex industrial automation.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Efficiently plan, manage, and execute projects that enable Intuitive to satisfy rapidly-growing demand for Systems manufacturing.
- Ensure manufacturing equipment designs meet functional, safety, ergonomic, and documentation requirements, to facilitate efficient production operation across Intuitive's US-based and international sites.
- Manage the equipment support group, a team of engineering technicians and associate engineers responsible for providing technical support to achieve adequate equipment uptime to enable production output.
- Manage resources outside of Intuitive Surgical (partners, contractors, vendors) in the specification, planning, and execution of projects involving complex production equipment.
- Effectively manage resources across various programs to ensure the achievement of technical and schedule objectives.
- Develop processes for tracking spare availability and creating documentation needed for outsourced equipment duplication support.
- Manage the procurement, build, and transfer lifecycle of line duplication efforts.
- Advocate techniques for world-class manufacturing and test equipment design for reliability, manufacturability, assembly, and serviceability.
- Drive product and equipment cost reductions through the continuous improvement of manufacturing equipment.
- Improve product quality and reliability using Six Sigma,Cpk, Gauge R&R, and similar quality tools.
Skills, Experience, Education, & Training:
- Minimum BS Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Controls Engineering or similar.
- Minimum 5 years of experience designing, building, and qualifying automation or test equipment used in a manufacturing environment.
- Experience creating and managing high-performing teams, preferably in the development, production, and support of automated equipment for the assembly of electro-mechanical products. Medical device industry experience is a plus.
- Proven leadership skills
- ability to energize and empower a team and unite them in a common goal.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills.
- Project management or similar leadership experience.
- Ability to distill complex ideas into a clear vision.
- Good system-level comprehension and issues identification skills.
- Strong technical and analytical skills, including machine design, electrical system design, FMEA, tolerance analysis, and statistical methods.
- Excellent problem-solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Strong understanding of NFPA 79, NFPA 70E, and Cal-OSHA safety standards.
- Self-starter, capable of defining requirements and implementing them with little or no help.
- Experience with Agile, SAP, JIRA, and/or Polarion.
- Track record developing high quality, reliable manufacturing equipment.
- Quality Systems experience, preferably in a medical device environment.
- CAD expertise and experience managing CAD users, SolidWorks preferred.
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally. Travel requirements will be up to 25% during transfer heavy periods.
- Experience managing a team of software developers and performing activities such as goal-setting, task assignments, performance evaluations, mentoring, coaching, and hiring software developers.
- Experience working with contract manufacturers.
- Experience using tools, such as Jira, to track and manage issues and their subsequent resolution.
- Experience in control systems development for robotics or electro-mechanical systems.
- Experience in medical device manufacturing (GMP, MDD, ISO, etc.).
- Experience with Agile, SAP, JIRA, and/or Polarion.
- Experience with real-time, multi-tasking, embedded operating systems.
Due to the nature of our business and the role, please note that Intuitive and/or your customer(s) may require that you show current proof of vaccination against certain diseases including COVID-19. Details can vary by role.
Intuitive is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees, and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type, without regard to race, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran or disability status, genetic information or any other status protected under federal, state, or local applicable laws.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.
Preference will be given to qualified candidates who do not reside, or plan to reside, in Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, or Tennessee.
We provide market-competitive compensation packages, inclusive of base pay, incentives, benefits, and equity. It would not be typical for someone to be hired at the top end of range for the role, as actual pay will be determined based on several factors, including experience, skills, and qualifications. The target salary ranges are listed.
Base Salary Range Region 1: $153,100 USD - $220,300 USD
Base Salary Range Region 2: $130,100 USD - $187,300 USD
Travel: 10% of the time
Workplace Type: Onsite - This job is fully onsite.