Company DescriptionAt Intuitive, we are united behind our mission: we believe that minimally invasive care is life-enhancing care. Through ingenuity and intelligent technology, we expand the potential of physicians to heal without constraints.
As a pioneer and market leader in robotic-assisted surgery, we strive to foster an inclusive and diverse team, committed to making a difference. For more than 25 years, we have worked with hospitals and care teams around the world to help solve some of healthcare's hardest challenges and advance what is possible.
Intuitive has been built by the efforts of great people from diverse backgrounds. We believe great ideas can come from anywhere. We strive to foster an inclusive culture built around diversity of thought and mutual respect. We lead with inclusion and empower our team members to do their best work as their most authentic selves.
Passionate people who want to make a difference drive our culture. Our team members are grounded in integrity, have a strong capacity to learn, the energy to get things done, and bring diverse, real world experiences to help us think in new ways. We actively invest in our team members to support their long-term growth so they can continue to advance our mission and achieve their highest potential.
Join a team committed to taking big leaps forward for a global community of healthcare professionals and their patients. Together, let's advance the world of minimally invasive care.
Primary Function of Position:
Intuitive Surgical designs and manufactures highly complex mechanical systems for use in surgery. These systems include both capital equipment and “consumables” in the form of surgical instruments and accessories. The Instruments Mechanical Engineering Manager is responsible for leading a team of engineers that design, develop, and launch new instrument products to the field.
The candidate will lead a team to identify and evaluate new product opportunities that address new and unmet needs within the instruments product portfolio. The successful candidate must have technical depth in relevant areas and be as comfortable collaborating and leading across organizational boundaries as they are working independently.
The Core Instruments team is searching for a Mechanical Engineering Manager to guide the development, documentation, and verification of new product designs, as well as coordinating improvements to existing designs to meet the needs of our customers. The Mechanical Engineering Manager is responsible for the functional management of a group of Mechanical Engineers and other technical personnel, which includes selecting, developing, and evaluating personnel to ensure efficient operation of the group.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Provide vision for mechanical engineering team and foster an environment that encourages creativity, appropriate risk taking, and crisp execution.
- Guide the team in developing compelling product architectures.
- Work with senior management and internal customers to define product pillars and business goals.
- Decipher complex situations and set appropriate priorities to focus team for success.
- Develop working knowledge of external customer needs/requirements to ensure product designs provide value to patients, surgeons, and hospitals.
- Communicate effectively with surgeons and customers about the technical design details of the product.
- Create high-level technical presentations to communicate effectively with leadership on project goals, status, and risks.
- Establish group objectives and individual work goals consistent with overall product development goals.
- Assign tasks, set priorities, establish metrics, and track progress.
- Support mechanical engineers in the development of functional specifications and related risk documents.
- Review mechanical engineering designs in both a formal and informal capacity.
- Manage, coach, and mentor mechanical engineers.
- Assess employee performance and provide coaching to improve performance.
- Grow and maintain a team of mechanical engineers by recruiting and retaining highly talented and motivated individuals.
- Manage department Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and drafting/design guidelines.
- Ensure design engineers follow appropriate design history file guidelines per FDA requirements and hold design reviews in accordance with product development procedures.
- Coordinate activities of his or her team with those of other groups in the organization. Interface with functions such as Product Marketing, Legal, Clinical Engineering, Test Engineering, Manufacturing, etc. to build consensus and make progress.
- Maintain cross-functional relationship with Manufacturing, Supplier Engineering, Quality, etc. to facilitate transfer of designs.
- Provide administrative leadership / control for planning, staffing, budgeting, and project/program cost tracking.
Skills, Experience, Education, & Training:
- Must be a selfless leader who inspires trust and commitment within their team and in the broader organization through integrity, passion, and professional excellence.
- Minimum BS (Mechanical Engineering or related engineering field), MS or PhD preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of experience taking products from concept to production (medical product experience preferred).
- At least eight (8) years of experience with mechanical design.
- Comfortable with all phases of the product development lifecycle including design, implementation, debug, verification, qualification, and transfer.
- Hands-on engineering manager with the proven ability to work well in a team environment.
- Ability to lead/influence cross functional teams in the design of complex surgical products.
- Excellent verbal communication and presentation skills. Ability to present the work of his or her team to executive management.
- Strong people management abilities with capability to ensure team success (staffing, productivity) as well as career development of team members.
- Exceptional mechanical aptitude and visual thinking skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills such as finite element analysis, statistics, and experimental designs.
- Proficiency using CAD to design and document mechanical designs. SolidWorks preferred.
- Breadth of knowledge in various manufacturing techniques, including techniques for rapidly fabricating proof-of-concept and functional prototypes.
- Experience with component selection criteria, and design for reliability and manufacturability.
- Strong project management, planning, and change management skills.
- Experience designing products in a highly regulated environment.
Due to the nature of our business and the role, please note that Intuitive and/or your customer(s) may require that you show current proof of vaccination against certain diseases including COVID-19. Details can vary by role.
Intuitive is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees, and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type, without regard to race, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran or disability status, genetic information or any other status protected under federal, state, or local applicable laws.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.
Preference will be given to qualified candidates who do not reside, or plan to reside, in Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, or Tennessee.
We provide market-competitive compensation packages, inclusive of base pay, incentives, benefits, and equity. It would not be typical for someone to be hired at the top end of range for the role, as actual pay will be determined based on several factors, including experience, skills, and qualifications. The target salary ranges are listed.
Base Salary Range Region 1: $157,300 - $226,300
Base Salary Range Region 2: $133,700 - $192,300
Travel: 10% of the time
Workplace Type: Set Schedule - This job will be onsite weekly, the percentage of onsite work will be defined by the leader.