Company DescriptionAt Intuitive, we are united behind our mission: we believe that minimally invasive care is life-enhancing care. Through ingenuity and intelligent technology, we expand the potential of physicians to heal without constraints.
As a pioneer and market leader in robotic-assisted surgery, we strive to foster an inclusive and diverse team, committed to making a difference. For more than 25 years, we have worked with hospitals and care teams around the world to help solve some of healthcare's hardest challenges and advance what is possible.
Intuitive has been built by the efforts of great people from diverse backgrounds. We believe great ideas can come from anywhere. We strive to foster an inclusive culture built around diversity of thought and mutual respect. We lead with inclusion and empower our team members to do their best work as their most authentic selves.
Passionate people who want to make a difference drive our culture. Our team members are grounded in integrity, have a strong capacity to learn, the energy to get things done, and bring diverse, real world experiences to help us think in new ways. We actively invest in our team members to support their long-term growth so they can continue to advance our mission and achieve their highest potential.
Join a team committed to taking big leaps forward for a global community of healthcare professionals and their patients. Together, let's advance the world of minimally invasive care.
Primary Function of Position:
Participate in the specification, design, sourcing, construction, upgrade, sustaining, and maintenance of manufacturing and test equipment used to produce minimally invasive surgical robotic instruments and accessories. This manufacturing equipment will range in complexity from catalog process equipment to custom automated electromechanical systems. Processes include heat staking, ultrasonic welding, laser welding, leak testing, pressing, crimping, and tray sealing.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Specify the requirements for, and manage the creation of, manufacturing equipment which can be designed and fabricated by third parties. Jointly develop custom tooling based on ISI’s product form factor.
- Evaluate performance, re-design, upgrade, and optimize existing production equipment.
- Design and build manufacturing tooling components which are deemed too proprietary or complex to develop out of house.
- Duplicate existing manufacturing equipment including orders, inventory, assembly, installation, and validation in production.
- Recommend and implement improvements to documentation, functionality, and assembly of equipment to optimize for cost, performance, consistency, and speed of delivery.
- Qualify manufacturing equipment to ensure the fulfillment of all requirements including IQ/OQ/PQ validation and verification activities. Ability to create and execute quality documentation for internally and externally designed production equipment.
- Develop and manage supplier and factory acceptance test protocols.
- Develop production processes including automation parameters for electronic controls, pneumatics, laser welding, laser marking, heat staking, ultrasonic welding, crimping, pressing, thermoforming, tray sealing, and more.
- Perform engineering studies to characterize equipment process windows.
- Determine troubleshooting, maintenance, consumables, spares, and calibration procedures for each piece of equipment and train relevant personnel to perform and manage them.
- Thoroughly document all aspects of the equipment, including its requirements, design, operation, and qualification in compliance with Good Manufacturing Processes (GMP).
- Improve equipment quality and reliability using DFX, Six Sigma, SPC, Gauge R&R, and similar quality tools.
- Provide equipment-related technical support to on-going production operations including maintenance, spare parts, repairs, and documentation of support activities.
- Advocate techniques for world class equipment & tooling design for manufacturing, assembly, and product test.
- Support product cost reductions derived from equipment and tooling used in manufacturing.
- Organize and execute obsolescence plans.
- Travel to our production plant in Mexico to ensure technology transfer to Mexicali personnel. Occasionally travel domestically and internationally to suppliers.
- Provide mentoring and management for direct reports to assist with implementation of primary individual contributor tasks.
- Minimum BS Engineering with 3 years minimum related experience.
- Experience in the development of complex integrated equipment or products preferred.
- 3D CAD capability required, SolidWorks preferred.
- Great attitude, eager, willing/able to take initiative, works well with others in team environment.
- Track record developing high quality, reliable products.
- Strong analytical skills including FMEA, tolerance analysis, and statistical methods.
- Familiarity with regulated Quality Systems, especially medical device regulations, a plus.
- Able to travel periodically up to 25%.
Due to the nature of our business and the role, please note that Intuitive and/or your customer(s) may require that you show current proof of vaccination against certain diseases including COVID-19. Details can vary by role.
Intuitive is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees, and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type, without regard to race, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran or disability status, genetic information or any other status protected under federal, state, or local applicable laws.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.
Preference will be given to qualified candidates who do not reside, or plan to reside, in Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, or Tennessee.
We provide market-competitive compensation packages, inclusive of base pay, incentives, benefits, and equity. It would not be typical for someone to be hired at the top end of range for the role, as actual pay will be determined based on several factors, including experience, skills, and qualifications. The target salary ranges are listed.
Base Salary Range Region 1: $110,700 - $159,300
Base Salary Range Region 2: $94,100 - $135,500
Travel: 25% of the time
Workplace Type: Onsite - This job is fully onsite.