Company DescriptionAt Intuitive, we are united behind our mission: we believe that minimally invasive care is life-enhancing care. Through ingenuity and intelligent technology, we expand the potential of physicians to heal without constraints.
As a pioneer and market leader in robotic-assisted surgery, we strive to foster an inclusive and diverse team, committed to making a difference. For more than 25 years, we have worked with hospitals and care teams around the world to help solve some of healthcare's hardest challenges and advance what is possible.
Intuitive has been built by the efforts of great people from diverse backgrounds. We believe great ideas can come from anywhere. We strive to foster an inclusive culture built around diversity of thought and mutual respect. We lead with inclusion and empower our team members to do their best work as their most authentic selves.
Passionate people who want to make a difference drive our culture. Our team members are grounded in integrity, have a strong capacity to learn, the energy to get things done, and bring diverse, real world experiences to help us think in new ways. We actively invest in our team members to support their long-term growth so they can continue to advance our mission and achieve their highest potential.
Join a team committed to taking big leaps forward for a global community of healthcare professionals and their patients. Together, let's advance the world of minimally invasive care.
The Future Forward group within Intuitive Surgical is searching for a Senior Mechanical Engineering Technician with a focus on the mechanical design of next generation surgical robot instruments. This role is an exciting opportunity to join a small and innovative team in the early phases of product development.
Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient outcomes as our highest priority. The Senior Mechanical Engineering Technician is responsible for supporting a team of mechanical engineers developing new products at Intuitive. The ideal candidate will be fully proficient in all typical instrument manufacturing processes. The candidate should be comfortable working with minimal supervision, and with minimal work instructions and be able to take ideas from R&D engineers and figure out how to build fully functional instrument prototypes. In addition, the individual will assist with developing and maintaining a clean and well-organized engineering lab environment that includes robotic instruments, rapid prototype machines, tools, fixtures, prototypes, and supplies. A strong sense of integrity, care, and attention to detail is required as well as a commitment to developing products of the highest quality.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Assisting with all aspects of early prototype builds, including procurement of material, inspection of materials and subassemblies, rework of components, assembly, troubleshooting, and repair of prototype instruments
- Assembling prototypes per engineering design/instructions
- Assist engineers to fabricate and modify components using standard prototyping and manufacturing equipment.
- Debugging and performance testing of engineering prototypes
- Assisting engineers in benchtop and excised tissue lab evaluations of prototypes
- Collecting, recording, and reporting test results
- Preparation of prototype instruments and accessories for benchtop testing and pre-clinical lab evaluations, organizing, overseeing, and collaborating with other groups to assemble and test prototypes.
- Creating prototype test and assembly fixtures, and providing input for the design of production fixtures
- Providing input for protocols and reports for engineering, qualification, and verification studies.
- Setup, organization, and maintenance of engineering lab and equipment
- Documenting assembly procedures and training other technicians on assembly. Assisting in knowledge transfer to other groups / teams
- Minimum 8 years' experience supporting a mechanical engineering group in a product development organization.
- Minimum Associate of Science degree, or equivalent work experience
- Hands-on skills and knowledgeable in prototyping and manufacturing methods, including soldering, microscopic wire and cable stripping, use of rotary tools, drills, small hand tools and adhesive bonding.
- Knowledge of catheter materials and manufacturing processes including laminating, braiding, bonding, flaring, tipping.
- Manual dexterity to assemble small components, with microscope or similar magnification.
- Ability to inspect components using metrology equipment (including calipers, micrometers, vision systems, CMM)
- Knowledge of medical grade adhesives
- Computer skills in Microsoft Office required, Solidworks experience desirable.
- Excellent organizational skills
- Able to work independently.
Due to the nature of our business and the role, please note that Intuitive and/or your customer(s) may require that you show current proof of vaccination against certain diseases including COVID-19. Details can vary by role.
Intuitive is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees, and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type, without regard to race, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran or disability status, genetic information or any other status protected under federal, state, or local applicable laws.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.
Preference will be given to qualified candidates who do not reside, or plan to reside, in Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, or Tennessee.
We provide market-competitive compensation packages, inclusive of base pay, incentives, benefits, and equity. It would not be typical for someone to be hired at the top end of range for the role, as actual pay will be determined based on several factors, including experience, skills, and qualifications. The target salary ranges are listed.
Base Salary Range Region 1: $90,800 - $122,800
Base Salary Range Region 2: $77,200 - $104,400
Workplace Type: Onsite - This job is fully onsite.