Company DescriptionAt Intuitive, we are united behind our mission: we believe that minimally invasive care is life-enhancing care. Through ingenuity and intelligent technology, we expand the potential of physicians to heal without constraints.
As a pioneer and market leader in robotic-assisted surgery, we strive to foster an inclusive and diverse team, committed to making a difference. For more than 25 years, we have worked with hospitals and care teams around the world to help solve some of healthcare's hardest challenges and advance what is possible.
Intuitive has been built by the efforts of great people from diverse backgrounds. We believe great ideas can come from anywhere. We strive to foster an inclusive culture built around diversity of thought and mutual respect. We lead with inclusion and empower our team members to do their best work as their most authentic selves.
Passionate people who want to make a difference drive our culture. Our team members are grounded in integrity, have a strong capacity to learn, the energy to get things done, and bring diverse, real world experiences to help us think in new ways. We actively invest in our team members to support their long-term growth so they can continue to advance our mission and achieve their highest potential.
Join a team committed to taking big leaps forward for a global community of healthcare professionals and their patients. Together, let's advance the world of minimally invasive care.
Primary Function of Position:
The Human Factors Engineer Intern supports user research and usability of Intuitive digital products and services. In the role of user research, the HF engineer provides the New Product Development group with in-depth analysis of the user and existing product use. In the role of usability tester, the HF engineer ensures new products are safe, easy to use, and easy to learn through the application of human factors methodology for risk analysis and usability testing.
The Human Factors Engineer Intern works closely with Interaction Designers, Clinical Engineers, and Technical Product Managers to inform and guide development of new products.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Collect and synthesize detailed information about how users interact with Intuitive’s products through various techniques including interviews, simulations, direct observation at hospitals, task analysis, and persona development.
- Present results of field observations, research, and usability testing to the New Product Development organization.
- Contribute to user interface designs by providing guidance, ideas, and feedback to Interaction Designers and developers.
- Study the environment of use to provide guidance, ideas, and feedback regarding the appropriate form factor for the digital solution(s).
- Synthesize large amounts of information to discover the most relevant information to highlight to improve performance
- Analyze complaints from on-market products for usability-related issues.
- Support the design, execution, and reporting on usability tests at various stages of product development from early prototypes all the way through formal FDA mandated validation testing.
- Work with cross functional teams to create and maintain usability risk analyses and user interface requirements for Intuitive’s products.
- Maintain traces between use risks, mitigations, and validation test cases.
- Reinforce a human centered design approach across the organization.
- Represent the Human Factors function on core teams for small to medium sized projects.
- Keep abreast of regulations and best practices for medical device human factors (e.g. IEC 62366, AAMI HE75, FDA Applying Human Factors and Usability Engineering to Medical Devices).
University Hiring Program Eligibility Requirements:
- University Enrollment: Must be currently enrolled in and returning to an accredited degree-seeking academic program in the Fall.
- Internship Work Period: Must be available to work full-time (approximately 40 hours per week) during a 10-12 week period starting May or June. Specific start dates are shared during the recruiting process.
Skills, Experience, Education, & Training:
- Current enrollment in a Human Factors Engineering, Cognitive Psychology, Computer Science with human-computer interface (HCI) emphasis, Human Centered Design, or related program, seeking a degree at the Masters or Doctorate level.
- Experience or exposure in medical device, health care or similar regulated industry, a significant plus
- Ability to empathize with people and to understand the human condition
- Ability to interface with customers in a professional manner
- Excellent communication (verbal, written, and formal presentation) and collaboration skills
- Ability to analyze and synthesize large quantities of information into usable communications
- Ability to work with and across various groups and levels of management within the organization, including other engineering groups, marketing, clinical engineering, and regulatory
- Ability to apply user-centered design and usability engineering principles to product research, development, and design
- Ability to travel (up to 25%)
Due to the nature of our business and the role, please note that Intuitive and/or your customer(s) may require that you show current proof of vaccination against certain diseases including COVID-19. Details can vary by role.
Intuitive is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees, and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type, without regard to race, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran or disability status, genetic information or any other status protected under federal, state, or local applicable laws.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.
We provide market-competitive compensation packages, inclusive of base pay (paid at an hourly rate), benefits, and a housing allowance. It would not be typical for someone to be hired at the top end of range for the role, as actual pay will be determined based on several factors, including relevant skills and experience for this internship, degree-seeking academic program (PhD, Master’s, Bachelor’s, etc), year in school, and location. The hourly rate is prorated against the intern program salaries listed and total program compensation will be based on internship duration.
Base Salary Range Region 1: $128,000 - $144,000
Base Salary Range Region 2: $108,800 - $122,400
Travel: 25% of the time
Workplace Type: Set Schedule - This job will be onsite weekly, the percentage of onsite work will be defined by the leader.