Company DescriptionAt Intuitive, we are united behind our mission: we believe that minimally invasive care is life-enhancing care. Through ingenuity and intelligent technology, we expand the potential of physicians to heal without constraints.
As a pioneer and market leader in robotic-assisted surgery, we strive to foster an inclusive and diverse team, committed to making a difference. For more than 25 years, we have worked with hospitals and care teams around the world to help solve some of healthcare's hardest challenges and advance what is possible.
Intuitive has been built by the efforts of great people from diverse backgrounds. We believe great ideas can come from anywhere. We strive to foster an inclusive culture built around diversity of thought and mutual respect. We lead with inclusion and empower our team members to do their best work as their most authentic selves.
Passionate people who want to make a difference drive our culture. Our team members are grounded in integrity, have a strong capacity to learn, the energy to get things done, and bring diverse, real world experiences to help us think in new ways. We actively invest in our team members to support their long-term growth so they can continue to advance our mission and achieve their highest potential.
Join a team committed to taking big leaps forward for a global community of healthcare professionals and their patients. Together, let's advance the world of minimally invasive care.
The Embedded Software Engineer will work with a group of talented and dedicated people to improve and extend Intuitive’s surgical robotic product lines. The successful candidate will contribute broadly to the Product Engineering team, with a focused contribution on embedded software for da Vinci™ Surgical System products. As a member of the team, you will be involved in delivering features to the surgical customer by integrating complex functionality into complete surgical robot solutions and seeing these through to product release as well as resolving issues after release if necessary. The successful candidate must excel in a high-energy small, focused team environment, be able to drive to solutions from rough requirements, and have a commitment to high product quality. Quick learning and a desire to understand requirements and create solutions are essential to becoming a valuable integrator and system developer. A strong sense of shared responsibility and shared reward is required, as is the ability to make work fun and interesting. Supporting you will be a development and management team that knows and cares about what you are doing and wants you to succeed.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Ability and desire to read and understand a legacy codebase that includes low-level and multi-processing heterogeneous networked processors. Work closely with Manufacturing/Field/Database engineers to investigate, debug, and isolate system SW issues.
- Develop new features, investigate, and resolve design issues that impact the performance of systems in the field and design issues related to the manufacturing process.
- Create, document, implement, unit test, and help develop detailed software designs in an exciting and sophisticated robotic system Document according to Intuitive development guidelines
- SW Design Engineers have responsibility for ensuring that medical device designs meet product quality requirements and for compliance to the design control processes in the Quality Management System.
- Work on a cross-functional team to design, develop and verify embedded software in da Vinci™ Surgical System products. Perform formal risk analysis and develop software mitigations
- Contribute to multiple areas of software development for our distributed multi-processor systems, including but not limited to the following areas: Inter-processor communication subsystem development
- System diagnostic and service application development User interface development
- Control and integration of external application servers
- Development of research prototypes used to evaluate new product concepts Contribute to the definition and specification of future designs
- Support root cause analysis and issue resolution for released products and products in production.
- Minimum Bachelor/Master/Ph.D. degree in Computer Science, Electrical, or Computer Engineering with experience developing and supporting embedded systems
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree with 4+ years of experience Master’s degree with 2+ years of experience Ph.D. degree with 0+ years of experience
- Experience with bare metal, real-time operating systems, and multithreaded programming
- Excellent debugging skills and strong ability to root cause and isolate system issues to component level Fluent in designing and developing cross-platform code in C/C++
- Strong knowledge of Python (2.X and 3.X)
- In-depth knowledge of TCP/IP, web sockets, pub/sub-architectures, REST interfaces
- Experience in working and supporting Digital BU (data services, application services, database administration, IoT) organization Hands-on engineering experience with proven ability to work well in a team environment
- Ability to build and maintain relationships across supported organizations Excellent communication and documentation skills
- A real excitement to learn and get to the bottom of tough technical problems
- A desire to deliver a quality and innovative product that improves many people’s lives
- Working knowledge of PetaLinux and/or Embedded Linux
- Working knowledge of QNX Software Development Platform, QML, and Qt Working knowledge of Matlab, or other scripting languages
- Working knowledge of revision control systems such as SVN and Git
- Working knowledge of build systems such as GNU Make and CMake, EMake, build automation tools Proficiency with data mining/visualization tools such as SQL, Elasticsearch, R, Python, Tableau
- Demonstrated experience in and comfort with all phases of the product development lifecycle including design, implementation, debug, verification, validation, and transfer to manufacturing
- Experience in low-level driver development in embedded platforms Knowledge/experience with WAMP, zmq, Python aysncio
- Experience designing software products in an FDA or other regulated industry or for mission-critical applications; comfortable with concepts of design input, design output, traceability, risk analysis, and mitigations
Due to the nature of our business and the role, please note that Intuitive and/or your customer(s) may require that you show current proof of vaccination against certain diseases including COVID-19. Details can vary by role.
Intuitive is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees, and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type, without regard to race, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran or disability status, genetic information or any other status protected under federal, state, or local applicable laws.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.
Preference will be given to qualified candidates who do not reside, or plan to reside, in Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, or Tennessee.
We provide market-competitive compensation packages, inclusive of base pay, incentives, benefits, and equity. It would not be typical for someone to be hired at the top end of range for the role, as actual pay will be determined based on several factors, including experience, skills, and qualifications. The target salary ranges are listed.
Base Salary Range Region 1: $158,300 - $227,700
Base Salary Range Region 2: $134,600 - $193,600
Travel: 10% of the time
Workplace Type: Onsite - This job is fully onsite.