Company DescriptionAt Intuitive, we are united behind our mission: we believe that minimally invasive care is life-enhancing care. Through ingenuity and intelligent technology, we expand the potential of physicians to heal without constraints.
As a pioneer and market leader in robotic-assisted surgery, we strive to foster an inclusive and diverse team, committed to making a difference. For more than 25 years, we have worked with hospitals and care teams around the world to help solve some of healthcare's hardest challenges and advance what is possible.
Intuitive has been built by the efforts of great people from diverse backgrounds. We believe great ideas can come from anywhere. We strive to foster an inclusive culture built around diversity of thought and mutual respect. We lead with inclusion and empower our team members to do their best work as their most authentic selves.
Passionate people who want to make a difference drive our culture. Our team members are grounded in integrity, have a strong capacity to learn, the energy to get things done, and bring diverse, real world experiences to help us think in new ways. We actively invest in our team members to support their long-term growth so they can continue to advance our mission and achieve their highest potential.
Join a team committed to taking big leaps forward for a global community of healthcare professionals and their patients. Together, let's advance the world of minimally invasive care.
Intuitive Surgical designs and manufactures highly complex robotic systems, endoscopes, instruments and accessories for use in surgery. We are looking for a hands-on, technically strong engineer to support new vision product development. The role will involve ownership of an opto-electromechanical system and components from proof of concept through detailed mechanical design, prototype manufacturing, qualification testing, and transition to full-scale manufacturing. The successful candidate has a strong track record on multidisciplinary teams from product concept through market launch. This person participates in creating system-wide architecture, has the proven ability to map out schedules and work assignments, leads teams through concept and development, and plays an active hands-on role in solving challenging technical problems. They are expected to use engineering and analytical skills to conceptualize, develop, and verify new mechanical, electro-mechanical interfaces and opto-mechanical designs. They are responsible for key system components and will interface with suppliers and manufacturing to build high-quality prototypes and productize new design. They should be capable of making sound decisions when faced with the time constraints and ambiguous or incomplete information typical of research and development.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Work with other members of the Research & Development design team to design, develop, and build mechanical/mechatronic components and highly manufacturable assemblies for surgical illumination and vision systems, with careful consideration for mechanical design, kinematics and materials (plastics & metals). Generate specifications, component drawings, assembly drawings, and interface control documents.
- Conceptualize and analyze complex electro-mechanical assemblies, create theoretical models, conduct empirical confirmation & perform computer assisted simulations.
- Work collaboratively within multi-disciplinary teams (electrical, mechanical, software, firmware, and test engineers) to define requirements for new and current designs.
- Analyze and test product designs, including development of DOEs, data collection, and data analysis. Design and build processes to test designs and conduct reliability testing; conduct studies to determine feasibility, costs, or performance benefits of new designs.
- Assist in the initial design of fixtures, alignment tools and processes to assemble products.
- Engage with vendors to identify, select and source materials, provide technical support to vendors by generating drawings, bills of materials, build documentation, assembly and test fixtures and test procedures.
- Navigate complex technical and programmatic situations by driving timely decision making and setting appropriate priorities to focus the team for success
- Facilitate hardware and software integration of new prototypes and new products.
- Support production of final product by troubleshooting process and component problems
- Provide engineering support to Manufacturing, Materials, Test Engineering, and Service to facilitate transfer of designs.
- Document and communicate intellectual property
- Develop Design History Files per FDA requirements
- Minimum BS in Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics, Robotics, Optics or related degree with 10 years of work experience (or MS/PhD with 8 years) in medical, commercial and/or consumer products with at least one new product from concept to launch.
- High proficiency with 3D CAD (Solidworks preferred), fabrication/ 2D drawings, tolerance analysis, and knowledge of GD&T principles and drafting standards.
- Mechanical analysis experience, including statics, dynamics, thermal, kinematics, stress analysis and fatigue analysis. Proficiency with FEA simulation tools (Ansys, Flo-EFD, ABAQUS, NASTRAN etc.) is desired.
- Extensive prior mechanical design and engineering background with demonstrable achievements, experience with design for medium to high volume manufacturing processes (machining, welding, sheet metal, casting, and injection molding) is preferred.
- Prior experience developing overall product mechanical architecture including thermal, mechanical, and optomechanical requirements with consideration for electronic, software, and optical systems.
- Proficient in all phases of the product development lifecycle including design, debug, verification, qualification, and transfer.
- Ability to work with hand tools and prototyping equipment (e.g., CNC Mill, CNC Lathe, Laser Cutter, etc.)
- Ability to create and own design documentation including mechanical CAD models, BOMs, product specifications, and test procedures.
- Strong understanding of component selection criteria, and design for reliability and manufacturability.
- Basic knowledge of working in an ISO and FDA-regulated environment.
- Excellent teamwork skills with proven ability to cultivate collaboration across multiple disciplines to ensure timely project success
- Excellent communication (written, verbal), presentation, and documentation skills
- A passion for creating robust/reliable products and an excitement to learn and problem solve
- Direct medical device experience is preferred but not required
- Demonstrable track record
- Self-starter needing minimal supervision
- Self-confident and able to react quickly under pressure
Due to the nature of our business and the role, please note that Intuitive and/or your customer(s) may require that you show current proof of vaccination against certain diseases including COVID-19. Details can vary by role.
Intuitive is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees, and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type, without regard to race, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran or disability status, genetic information or any other status protected under federal, state, or local applicable laws.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.
Preference will be given to qualified candidates who do not reside, or plan to reside, in Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, or Tennessee.
We provide market-competitive compensation packages, inclusive of base pay, incentives, benefits, and equity. It would not be typical for someone to be hired at the top end of range for the role, as actual pay will be determined based on several factors, including experience, skills, and qualifications. The target salary ranges are listed.
Base Salary Range Region 1: $135,200 - $194,600
Base Salary Range Region 2: $115,000 - $165,400
Travel: 10% of the time
Workplace Type: Set Schedule - This job will be onsite weekly, the percentage of onsite work will be defined by the leader.