At Intuitive, we are united behind our mission: we believe that minimally invasive care is life-enhancing care. Through ingenuity and intelligent technology, we expand the potential of physicians to heal without constraints. As a pioneer and market leader in robotic-assisted surgery, we strive to foster an inclusive and diverse team, committed to making a difference. For more than 25 years, we have worked with hospitals and care teams around the world to help solve some of healthcare's hardest challenges and advance what is possible. Intuitive has been built by the efforts of great people from diverse backgrounds. We believe great ideas can come from anywhere. We strive to foster an inclusive culture built around diversity of thought and mutual respect. We lead with inclusion and empower our team members to do their best work as their most authentic selves. Passionate people who want to make a difference drive our culture. Our team members are grounded in integrity, have a strong capacity to learn, the energy to get things done, and bring diverse, real world experiences to help us think in new ways. We actively invest in our team members to support their long-term growth so they can continue to advance our mission and achieve their highest potential. Join a team committed to taking big leaps forward for a global community of healthcare professionals and their patients. Together, let's advance the world of minimally invasive care.
Primary Function of Position:
Intuitive Surgical designs and manufactures highly complex mechanical systems for use in surgery. We are looking for a hands-on, technically strong mechanical engineer to sustain and improve existing Vessel Sealing instruments to meet the needs of our customers and our business, and to support development, testing, and documentation of new product designs.
The Mechanical Engineer will work focus on sustaining and improving product performance, reliability and capacity, identifying and developing cost reductions, addressing supply chain challenges, as well as contributing to new product development of complex Vessel Sealing surgical instruments. The successful candidate will have the technical depth to resolve complex mechanical, materials and manufacturing design issues and the ability to work in an interdisciplinary team to troubleshoot and determine root cause of higher-level system issues. A strong sense of ownership, shared responsibility and shared reward is required as well as a commitment to high product quality.
Roles & Responsibilities:
Provide mechanical engineering expertise to support continuous production of high-quality Vessel Sealing instruments to our customers.
- Collaborate with manufacturing, purchasing, test engineering, and supplier engineering to facilitate transfer of designs into production.
- Support production of final product by troubleshooting process and component problems.
- Work within multi-disciplinary teams to define requirements for new and current designs.
- Develop mechanical assemblies, with careful consideration for key functions and safety while designing for manufacturability, reliability, and cost.
- Design components and produce mechanical drawings in a regulated environment for high volume manufacturing processes including metal injection molded, injection molded plastic, stamped sheet metal, machined, and others.
- Develop, analyze, and perform verification and validation testing.
- Characterize sources of variations in product performance and implement mitigations accordingly.
- Investigate and determine root cause of design, manufacturing, or material issues.
- Maintain awareness of customer needs and requirements – develop new device concepts as well as continuously improving existing designs to meet those needs.
- Develop and iterate full-scale prototypes of candidate architectures to satisfy requirements.
- Resolve complex engineering challenges through hands-on product testing and collaborate with subject matter experts both internal and external to organization.
- Support and participate in clinical and human-factor evaluations for new designs or design changes to ensure positive user experiences.
Skills, Experience, Education, & Training:
- Minimum BSME or similar required, MSME preferred.
- Minimum 1 years of relevant experience with medium to high volume product. (Medical product experience preferred, prior vessel sealing experience (RF or other) a strong plus)
- Strong mechanical design and analytical skills.
- Knowledge of high-volume manufacturing processes such as injection molding, MIM, stamping, extrusion, and machining.
- Knowledge of materials (preferably metals and plastics) and material properties. Ability to apply knowledge of engineering materials and component selection criteria to product designs through strong concept development, design analysis, hands-on prototyping, and reliability testing skills.
- Proficiency using 3D CAD software to design complex mechanical assemblies and drawing modification and support (SolidWorks preferred).
- Knowledge of documenting components for medium to high volume manufacturing processes, including GD&T.
- Knowledge of documenting product risks using dFMEA analysis
- Self-motivated, hands-on, and the ability to work well within a fast-paced collaborative environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written, oral) across all levels and organizations
Due to the nature of our business and the role, please note that Intuitive and/or your customer(s) may require that you show current proof of vaccination against certain diseases including COVID-19. Details can vary by role.
Intuitive is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees, and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type, without regard to race, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran or disability status, genetic information or any other status protected under federal, state, or local applicable laws.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.
Preference will be given to qualified candidates who do not reside, or plan to reside, in Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, or Tennessee.
We provide market-competitive compensation packages, inclusive of base pay, incentives, benefits, and equity. It would not be typical for someone to be hired at the top end of range for the role, as actual pay will be determined based on several factors, including experience, skills, and qualifications. The target salary ranges are listed.
Base Salary Range Region 1: $113,800 - $163,800
Base Salary Range Region 2: $96,800 - $139,200
Travel: 10% of the time
Workplace Type: Onsite - This job is fully onsite.