Company DescriptionAt Intuitive, we are united behind our mission: we believe that minimally invasive care is life-enhancing care. Through ingenuity and intelligent technology, we expand the potential of physicians to heal without constraints.
As a pioneer and market leader in robotic-assisted surgery, we strive to foster an inclusive and diverse team, committed to making a difference. For more than 25 years, we have worked with hospitals and care teams around the world to help solve some of healthcare's hardest challenges and advance what is possible.
Intuitive has been built by the efforts of great people from diverse backgrounds. We believe great ideas can come from anywhere. We strive to foster an inclusive culture built around diversity of thought and mutual respect. We lead with inclusion and empower our team members to do their best work as their most authentic selves.
Passionate people who want to make a difference drive our culture. Our team members are grounded in integrity, have a strong capacity to learn, the energy to get things done, and bring diverse, real world experiences to help us think in new ways. We actively invest in our team members to support their long-term growth so they can continue to advance our mission and achieve their highest potential.
Join a team committed to taking big leaps forward for a global community of healthcare professionals and their patients. Together, let's advance the world of minimally invasive care.
Primary Function of Position:
The Mechanical Design Engineer works in cross-functional teams to maintain and improve the design, production, and service of the da Vinci® Surgical System. They help determine root cause of complex problems with electro-mechanical components, manufacturing process and system performance. They identify mechanical design and manufacturing process solutions to improve performance, cost, and reliability, and perform the development, documentation, verification and implementation of these solutions.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Work in cross-functional project teams to design, develop and verify modifications to robotic or other complex mechanisms.
- Investigate and determine root cause of latent and emerging design, manufacturing or material defects
- Develop, design, test, document, and implement solutions for these defects according to corporate standards and departmental operating procedures
- Identify, develop and implement alternate part fabrication methods and sources to reduce hardware cost and/or improve strength of supply chain
- Develop and execute design verification/validation test protocols and document results in test reports
- Provide mechanical engineering support for resolution of field and manufacturing issues
- Support product risk assessments, Corrective and Preventive Actions, and quality/regulatory audits as required
- Establish individual goals consistent with overall project goals
Specific Skill/Job Requirements:
- Minimum BSME required, MSME preferred. Biomedical or other engineering discipline may be acceptable with appropriate mechanical experience
- Minimum 2 years of experience designing and manufacturing electromechanical products
- Experience in an FDA or other regulated industry preferred
- Technical experience with mechanism design, robotics, plastics, and/or medical products
- Experience with integration of electromechanical components and testing preferred.
- Strong in mechanical design principles fundamentals
- Mechanism analysis skills, including statics, dynamics, kinematics, strength of materials and stress analysis
- Exposure to commercial off the shelf components such as ball bearings, DC motors, encoders, gears, clamps, springs, and couplings
- Familiarity with data analysis using Matlab is preferred.
- Proficiency using CAD to design and document mechanisms: SolidWorks and/or ProE (SolidWorks preferred)
- Hands-on engineering with the proven ability to work well in a team environment
- Comfortable operating measurement and test equipment
- Comfortable with all phases of the product development lifecycle including design, implementation, debug, verification, qualification, and transfer is preferred
General Skill/Job Requirements:
- Ability to travel on a limited basis (10%)
- Proficient communicator relating to authoring of experiments, writing reports, and presenting design/analysis/test results
- A real excitement to learn and get to the bottom of tough technical problems.
Due to the nature of our business and the role, please note that Intuitive and/or your customer(s) may require that you show current proof of vaccination against certain diseases including COVID-19. Details can vary by role.
Intuitive is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees, and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type, without regard to race, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran or disability status, genetic information or any other status protected under federal, state, or local applicable laws.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.
Preference will be given to qualified candidates who do not reside, or plan to reside, in Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, or Tennessee.
We provide market-competitive compensation packages, inclusive of base pay, incentives, benefits, and equity. It would not be typical for someone to be hired at the top end of range for the role, as actual pay will be determined based on several factors, including experience, skills, and qualifications. The target salary ranges are listed.
Base Salary Range Region 1: $97,500 - $131,900
Base Salary Range Region 2: $82,900 - $112,100
Travel: 10% of the time
Workplace Type: Onsite - This job is fully onsite.