Company DescriptionAt Intuitive, we are united behind our mission: we believe that minimally invasive care is life-enhancing care. Through ingenuity and intelligent technology, we expand the potential of physicians to heal without constraints.
As a pioneer and market leader in robotic-assisted surgery, we strive to foster an inclusive and diverse team, committed to making a difference. For more than 25 years, we have worked with hospitals and care teams around the world to help solve some of healthcare's hardest challenges and advance what is possible.
Intuitive has been built by the efforts of great people from diverse backgrounds. We believe great ideas can come from anywhere. We strive to foster an inclusive culture built around diversity of thought and mutual respect. We lead with inclusion and empower our team members to do their best work as their most authentic selves.
Passionate people who want to make a difference drive our culture. Our team members are grounded in integrity, have a strong capacity to learn, the energy to get things done, and bring diverse, real world experiences to help us think in new ways. We actively invest in our team members to support their long-term growth so they can continue to advance our mission and achieve their highest potential.
Join a team committed to taking big leaps forward for a global community of healthcare professionals and their patients. Together, let's advance the world of minimally invasive care.
The Senior Mechanical Design Engineer works in and/or leads cross-functional teams to maintain and improve the design, production, and service of the da Vinci® Surgical System. They determine root cause of complex problems with electro-mechanical components, manufacturing process and system performance. They identify mechanical design and manufacturing process solutions to improve performance, cost, and reliability, and perform the development, documentation, verification and implementation of these solutions.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Work in or lead cross-functional project teams to design, develop and verify modifications to robotic or other complex mechanisms.
- Investigate and determine root cause of latent and emerging design, manufacturing or material defects
- Develop, design, test, document, and implement solutions for these defects according to corporate standards and departmental operating procedures
- Identify, develop and implement alternate part fabrication methods and sources to reduce hardware cost and/or improve strength of supply chain
- Develop and execute design verification/validation test protocols and document results in test reports
- Provide mechanical engineering support for resolution of field and manufacturing issues
- Support product risk assessments, Corrective and Preventive Actions, and quality/regulatory audits as required
- Provide advice, mentoring, coaching and guidance to advance the technical and business expertise of colleagues
- Identify and implement best practices between teams and engineering departments
- Establish individual and team goals consistent with overall project goals
- Minimum BSME required, MSME preferred. Biomedical or other engineering discipline may be acceptable with appropriate mechanical experience
- Minimum 8 years of experience designing and manufacturing electromechanical products. Work experience in an FDA or other regulated industry preferred.
- Comfortable with all phases of the product development lifecycle including design, analysis, debug, verification, transfer to manufacturing, and sustainment.
- Understand concepts of design input, design output, requirement traceability, and FMEA risk analysis
- Technical expertise with mechanism design, robotics and/or medical products
- Design, manufacture and troubleshooting of electromechanical components and assemblies including brushless DC motors, brakes, encoders and other sensors
- Design, manufacture and troubleshooting of precision mechanical components including bearings, gears, ball screws and linear actuators
- Component selection and design for reliability and manufacturability
- Mechanical analysis, including statics, dynamics, kinematics, stress, fatigue, thermal, and reliability
- Design, analyze and document components, structures, and mechanical assemblies in SolidWorks or similar CAD software
- Release designs following good documentation principles and configuration control methods
- Manufacturing process development and creation of assembly instructions
- Proficiency at failure analysis
- Fluency in ASME Y14.5 GD&T and tolerance stack analysis
- Demonstrated knowledge of a wide variety of manufacturing processes
- Metallurgical heat treatment, stress relief, grinding/lapping
- Component fabrication methods including CNC machining, wire EDM, brazing, and surface coatings
- High-volume fabrication methods including plastic injection molding, metal-injection molding, stamping, aluminum and steel casting (sand, investment, die)
- Capable of using MATLAB to create or modify test scripts and system software
- Experience with Statistical Process Control in a Mass Production environment
- Experience providing inputs to regulatory agency approval including UL, CE and FDA preferred
- Comfortable operating machine shop, measurement and test equipment
General Skill/Job Requirements:
- Excel in a fast paced, high transaction, mass-production environment
- Utilize deep technical knowledge and broad expertise to achieve company objectives in creative and effective ways
- Some experience leading departmental and cross-functional projects and strategic initiatives from concept through completion
- Capacity to lead multiple complex projects
- Ability to communicate effectively (written, oral) across all levels and organizations
- Ability to lead and mentor other engineers
- Ability to travel up to 10% time
- Demonstrated excitement to learn and quickly analyze tough technical problems
- Passion for creating robust, reliable products with a strong commitment to quality
- Sense of shared responsibility and reward
Due to the nature of our business and the role, please note that Intuitive and/or your customer(s) may require that you show current proof of vaccination against certain diseases including COVID-19. Details can vary by role.
Intuitive is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees, and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type, without regard to race, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran or disability status, genetic information or any other status protected under federal, state, or local applicable laws.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.
Preference will be given to qualified candidates who do not reside, or plan to reside, in Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, or Tennessee.
We provide market-competitive compensation packages, inclusive of base pay, incentives, benefits, and equity. It would not be typical for someone to be hired at the top end of range for the role, as actual pay will be determined based on several factors, including experience, skills, and qualifications. The target salary ranges are listed.
Base Salary Range Region 1: $113,800 - $163,800
Base Salary Range Region 2: $96,800 - $139,200
Travel: 10% of the time
Workplace Type: Set Schedule - This job will be onsite weekly, the percentage of onsite work will be defined by the leader.