Company DescriptionAt Intuitive, we are united behind our mission: we believe that minimally invasive care is life-enhancing care. Through ingenuity and intelligent technology, we expand the potential of physicians to heal without constraints.
As a pioneer and market leader in robotic-assisted surgery, we strive to foster an inclusive and diverse team, committed to making a difference. For more than 25 years, we have worked with hospitals and care teams around the world to help solve some of healthcare's hardest challenges and advance what is possible.
Intuitive has been built by the efforts of great people from diverse backgrounds. We believe great ideas can come from anywhere. We strive to foster an inclusive culture built around diversity of thought and mutual respect. We lead with inclusion and empower our team members to do their best work as their most authentic selves.
Passionate people who want to make a difference drive our culture. Our team members are grounded in integrity, have a strong capacity to learn, the energy to get things done, and bring diverse, real world experiences to help us think in new ways. We actively invest in our team members to support their long-term growth so they can continue to advance our mission and achieve their highest potential.
Join a team committed to taking big leaps forward for a global community of healthcare professionals and their patients. Together, let's advance the world of minimally invasive care.
Primary Function of Position:
The Ion™ endoluminal system is Intuitive's robotic platform for minimally invasive biopsy in the peripheral lung, with an initial goal of improving the early diagnosis of lung cancer. We are seeking a candidate with an analytical mind and exceptional electronic design skills to investigate complex design issues, design and implement solutions while committing to the highest product quality for our robotic platform. This role works closely with clinical, mechanical and software engineering, quality and manufacturing teams to ensure designs meet clinical and user needs and perform reliably and effectively in the field. In this position, you will be part of a team of talented engineers in a focused, high energy, collaborative work environment, challenged to make sound decisions when faced with the time pressures and ambiguous or incomplete information typical of issue troubleshooting and product development.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Act as the Responsible Engineer for a variety of existing PC boards, especially those that are tightly integrated with robotic mechanics
- Support continued commercialization of the existing product by troubleshooting current design, whether emerging from the field or from manufacturing
- Work closely with the manufacturing, mechanical, and software (FPGA included) engineering teams to understand full functionality of the circuit design as part of the whole system design
- Work in tandem with the mechanical and software engineering teams to develop test fixtures enabling reliability testing of the existing and improved designs
- Write detailed documentation, including revising design specifications and verification plans, for a regulatory-controlled environment
- Develop and execute test methods for design improvements
- Represent design tradeoffs within multi-disciplinary teams to define requirements for new and current designs
Education, Experience, Skills, and Training:
- Minimum BSEE, or equivalent work experience, 8+ years experience
- Minimum MSEE (Post-graduate study) or equivalent work experience, 4+ years experience
- Experience designing, developing, modifying and evaluating electronic parts, components and PC boards, including hands-on board layout, bring-up, and debug using electronic design tools (such as Orcad, Allegro, SPICE, etc.).
- Extensive experience in thinking at a systems level, interfacing between multiple design groups, and negotiating conflicting requirements.
- Experience troubleshooting electrical issues of all sorts at the system-level as well as PCA/harness-levels.
- Experience coming up with various design approaches and parameters, conducting experimental tests and analyzing results to select the proper components and equipment.
- Experience designing for reliability and manufacturability, especially for high-volume products.
- Familiarity and ownership of the full product development lifecycle, from project initiation to continuous improvement, including concept development, design, implementation, debug, verification, qualification, and transfer to manufacturing as well as with the concepts of design input, design output, traceability, and risk analysis.
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes, such as PCB manufacturing and assembling, including miniaturization and flex board designs.
- Familiarity with a broad range of electronic components and hardware, including analog, power, FPGAs, microcontrollers, memories, logic, signal conditioning, and communication interfaces.
- Familiarity with analog and/or power designs (such as motor drivers or power supplies) at the schematic and PCB-design level.
- Experience with robot design, medical device product experience is a plus.
- Passion for solving tough technical problems and creating elegant and reliable products.
- Detail-oriented mindset creating robust and reliable electronics designed for mission-critical applications.
- Self-driven desire to excel in a high-energy, small, focused team environment, to maintain a strong sense of shared responsibility and shared reward, and to make work fun and interesting.
- Effective use of troubleshooting and measurement equipment like oscilloscopes, multimeters, function generators, custom test platforms, spectrum analyzer, etc.
- Expertise in communicating effectively and accurately (written and oral) across all levels and functions, including interacting with vendors, and presenting to a technical audience.
- Ability to communicate to and collaborate with suppliers on design-related challenges (component failures, part qualification, etc.).
- Ability to collaboration with multi-disciplinary functions like clinical, quality, marketing, manufacturing, etc.
- Proficiency with English language (spoken and written).
- Experience in mentoring other engineers.
Due to the nature of our business and the role, please note that Intuitive and/or your customer(s) may require that you show current proof of vaccination against certain diseases including COVID-19. Details can vary by role.
Intuitive is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees, and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type, without regard to race, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran or disability status, genetic information or any other status protected under federal, state, or local applicable laws.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.
Preference will be given to qualified candidates who do not reside, or plan to reside, in Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, or Tennessee.
We provide market-competitive compensation packages, inclusive of base pay, incentives, benefits, and equity. It would not be typical for someone to be hired at the top end of range for the role, as actual pay will be determined based on several factors, including experience, skills, and qualifications. The target salary ranges are listed.
Base Salary Range Region 1: $140,400 - $202,000
Base Salary Range Region 2: $119,300 - $171,700
Travel: 10% of the time
Workplace Type: Set Schedule - This job will be onsite weekly, the percentage of onsite work will be defined by the leader.