Company DescriptionAt Intuitive, we are united behind our mission: we believe that minimally invasive care is life-enhancing care. Through ingenuity and intelligent technology, we expand the potential of physicians to heal without constraints.
As a pioneer and market leader in robotic-assisted surgery, we strive to foster an inclusive and diverse team, committed to making a difference. For more than 25 years, we have worked with hospitals and care teams around the world to help solve some of healthcare's hardest challenges and advance what is possible.
Intuitive has been built by the efforts of great people from diverse backgrounds. We believe great ideas can come from anywhere. We strive to foster an inclusive culture built around diversity of thought and mutual respect. We lead with inclusion and empower our team members to do their best work as their most authentic selves.
Passionate people who want to make a difference drive our culture. Our team members are grounded in integrity, have a strong capacity to learn, the energy to get things done, and bring diverse, real world experiences to help us think in new ways. We actively invest in our team members to support their long-term growth so they can continue to advance our mission and achieve their highest potential.
Join a team committed to taking big leaps forward for a global community of healthcare professionals and their patients. Together, let's advance the world of minimally invasive care.
Intuitive Surgical designs and manufactures highly complex electromechanical robotic systems for use in surgery, which include a variety of individual sub-systems and components that are required to achieve the desired level of surgical performance. The Senior Mechanical Engineer is responsible for developing, documenting, and validating new product designs, as well as improving existing designs to meet the needs of our customers.
The Senior Mechanical Engineer will develop new and innovative surgical devices (e.g., disposables, instruments, catheters, accessories) for the Intuitive da Vinci Surgical System. He or she must excel in a high-energy team environment and be capable of making sound decisions when faced with the time pressures and incomplete information typical of new product development. The successful candidate must have strong technical depth in relevant areas and have a track record of successful product development efforts. Responsibilities include developing, documenting, and validating new product designs, as well as improving existing designs to meet the needs of our customers.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Represent Mechanical Engineering on cross-functional project teams that design and develop next generation surgical and energy products.
- Work closely with Marketing and Clinical Development Engineering to translate clinical requirements and user needs to functional and technical specifications.
- Analyze and test product concepts and their components.
- Perform risk analyses and develop design requirements. Document, and test designs according to corporate and departmental operating procedures.
- Provide technical expertise to assist with the development of initial fixtures and assembly processes in collaboration with manufacturing and automation teams.
- Provide mechanical engineering sustaining support for resolution of supply chain, manufacturing and field issues.
- Support production of final product by troubleshooting process and component problems.
- Support the quality and regulatory processes.
- Provide technical advice and mentoring to other mechanical engineers.
- Help establish individual and team goals aligned with overall project and company goals.
- Minimum BSME or similar required.
- A minimum 5 years of relevant experience developing medium to high volume medical device products.
- Experience with supplied sterile, disposable medical tube set design preferred.
- Strong knowledge of part design, materials, processes used in the fabrication of disposable medical device products, specifically injection molding and extrusion
- Experience with rapid prototyping processes.
- Proficiency using 3D CAD software to design complex mechanical assemblies (SolidWorks preferred).
- Ability to develop parts with an emphasis on scalability and economy.
- Self-motivated, hands-on, and the ability to work well within a fast-paced team-oriented environment.
- Ability to travel up to 10% time.
- A real excitement to learn and get to the bottom of tough technical problems.
- A passion for creating robust and reliable products.
Due to the nature of our business and the role, please note that Intuitive and/or your customer(s) may require that you show current proof of vaccination against certain diseases including COVID-19. Details can vary by role.
Intuitive is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees, and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type, without regard to race, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran or disability status, genetic information or any other status protected under federal, state, or local applicable laws.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.
Preference will be given to qualified candidates who do not reside, or plan to reside, in Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, or Tennessee.
We provide market-competitive compensation packages, inclusive of base pay, incentives, benefits, and equity. It would not be typical for someone to be hired at the top end of range for the role, as actual pay will be determined based on several factors, including experience, skills, and qualifications. The target salary ranges are listed.
Base Salary Range Region 1: $135,200 - $194,600
Base Salary Range Region 2: $115,000 - $165,400
Travel: 10% of the time
Workplace Type: Set Schedule - This job will be onsite weekly, the percentage of onsite work will be defined by the leader.