Company DescriptionAt Intuitive, we are united behind our mission: we believe that minimally invasive care is life-enhancing care. Through ingenuity and intelligent technology, we expand the potential of physicians to heal without constraints.
As a pioneer and market leader in robotic-assisted surgery, we strive to foster an inclusive and diverse team, committed to making a difference. For more than 25 years, we have worked with hospitals and care teams around the world to help solve some of healthcare's hardest challenges and advance what is possible.
Intuitive has been built by the efforts of great people from diverse backgrounds. We believe great ideas can come from anywhere. We strive to foster an inclusive culture built around diversity of thought and mutual respect. We lead with inclusion and empower our team members to do their best work as their most authentic selves.
Passionate people who want to make a difference drive our culture. Our team members are grounded in integrity, have a strong capacity to learn, the energy to get things done, and bring diverse, real world experiences to help us think in new ways. We actively invest in our team members to support their long-term growth so they can continue to advance our mission and achieve their highest potential.
Join a team committed to taking big leaps forward for a global community of healthcare professionals and their patients. Together, let's advance the world of minimally invasive care.
Primary Function of Position:
Surgeons use the daVinci Surgical System for extended continuous duration under the intense stress of a surgical environment. Ergonomic positioning for a wide range of Surgeons is a key offering for the daVinci surgical system. Join the engineering team developing the console for the next generation system.
The console team is searching for a Mechanical Engineering Manager to guide the development, documentation, and verification of new product designs, as well as coordinating improvements to existing designs to meet the needs of our customers. The Manager of Mechanical Engineering is responsible for the functional management of a group of Mechanical Engineers and other technical personnel, which includes selecting, developing, and evaluating personnel to ensure efficient operation of the group.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Provide vision for mechanical engineering team and foster environment that encourages creativity, risk taking, and crisp execution
- Guide the team in developing compelling product architectures
- Work with senior management and internal customers to define product pillars and business goals
- Decipher complex situations and set appropriate priorities to focus team for success
- Develop working knowledge of external customer needs/requirements to ensure product designs provide value to patients, surgeons and hospitals
- Establish group objectives and individual work goals consistent with overall product development goals
- Assign tasks, set priorities, establish metrics, and track progress
- Assess employee performance and provide coaching to improve performance
- Manage, coach, and mentor mechanical engineers
- Support mechanical engineers in the development of functional specifications and related risk documents
- Manage drafters, technicians, and other support personnel as required
- Manage department Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and drafting/design guidelines
- Ensure design engineers follow appropriate design history file guidelines per FDA requirements and hold design reviews in accordance with product development procedures
- Provide engineering resources to support Manufacturing, Materials, Test Engineering, and Service to facilitate transfer of designs
- Provide administrative leadership / control for planning, staffing, budgeting, and project/program cost tracking.
Skills, Experience, Education, & Training:
- Minimum BS (Mechanical Engineering or related engineering field)
- Minimum 5 years of experience designing commercial mechanical products or related education
- Proven ability to manage outside suppliers in the development of critical sub-assemblies
- Hands-on engineering manager with the proven ability to work well in a team environment
- Comfortable with all phases of the product development lifecycle including design, implementation, debug, verification, qualification, and transfer
- Knowledge of and experience with CAD and analysis tools that drive design excellence
- Experience with component selection criteria, and design for reliability and manufacturability
- Knowledge of stress analysis, robot dynamics, thermal design requirements
- Strong project management, planning, and change management skills
- Ability to lead/influence cross functional teams in the design of complex surgical systems
- Experience designing products in a highly regulated environment
- Excellent communication (written, verbal), presentation and documentation skills
- Strong people management abilities with capability to ensure team success (staffing, productivity) as well as career development of team members.
- Post-graduate study, MS or PhD in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent work experience preferred.
- Experience taking commercial products through entire design, development, and implementation launch cycle.
- Medical product experience
Due to the nature of our business and the role, please note that Intuitive and/or your customer(s) may require that you show current proof of vaccination against certain diseases including COVID-19. Details can vary by role.
Intuitive is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees, and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type, without regard to race, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran or disability status, genetic information or any other status protected under federal, state, or local applicable laws.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.
Preference will be given to qualified candidates who do not reside, or plan to reside, in Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, or Tennessee.
We provide market-competitive compensation packages, inclusive of base pay, incentives, benefits, and equity. It would not be typical for someone to be hired at the top end of range for the role, as actual pay will be determined based on several factors, including experience, skills, and qualifications. The target salary ranges are listed.
Base Salary Range Region 1: $157,300 - $226,300
Base Salary Range Region 2: $133,700 - $192,300
Travel: 10% of the time
Workplace Type: Set Schedule - This job will be onsite weekly, the percentage of onsite work will be defined by the leader.