At Intuitive, we are united behind our mission: we believe that minimally invasive care is life-enhancing care. Through ingenuity and intelligent technology, we expand the potential of physicians to heal without constraints.
As a pioneer and market leader in robotic-assisted surgery, we strive to foster an inclusive and diverse team, committed to making a difference. For more than 25 years, we have worked with hospitals and care teams around the world to help solve some of healthcare's hardest challenges and advance what is possible.
Intuitive has been built by the efforts of great people from diverse backgrounds. We believe great ideas can come from anywhere. We strive to foster an inclusive culture built around diversity of thought and mutual respect. We lead with inclusion and empower our team members to do their best work as their most authentic selves.
Passionate people who want to make a difference drive our culture. Our team members are grounded in integrity, have a strong capacity to learn, the energy to get things done, and bring diverse, real world experiences to help us think in new ways. We actively invest in our team members to support their long-term growth so they can continue to advance our mission and achieve their highest potential.
Join a team committed to taking big leaps forward for a global community of healthcare professionals and their patients. Together, let's advance the world of minimally invasive care.
Primary Function of Position:
The Imaging and Intelligence group at Intuitive Surgical is looking for a Senior Software Engineer that will play a key technical role in the development of complex embedded software that interfaces with the da Vinci® robot platforms. The engineer will contribute to the design and development of various system software components, as well as infrastructures around production systems, including automated CI/CD build and release pipelines, and interfaces with network backend services.
- Develop rock-solid embedded software components in C++ and Python.
- Implement early prototypes to evaluate new product concepts and integrate proof-of-concept modules into systems with production-ready, highest quality code.
- Optimize system performance at various layers, from Linux kernel to OS, and user applications.
- Contribute to system design and integration with other digital infrastructures such as network and cloud-based backends.
- Work with cross-functional teams across all phases of the product development lifecycle including prototype, design, implementation, debug, V&V, and release.
- Contribute to the development of flexible and scalable CI/CD infrastructure with hardware-in-the-loop test fixtures, to support unified automated build, test and release pipelines for continuous delivery of high quality production-ready software.
- Contribute to cross-compilation of system libraries and applications.
- Contribute to building customized Linux distributions.
- Create high quality technical documentation detailing software design and architectures.
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Engineering or related field with 7+ years of industry experience.
- Excellent modern C++ and Python programming skills
- Advanced Linux system software development experience is a must, including in-depth working knowledge of Linux internals (schedulers, memory management, concurrency, IPC, memory allocation, file system, networking, logging, storage).
- Extensive hands-on experience implementing SW/HW interfaces used in complex devices including interfaces with external devices from Linux (FPGA, UART/I2C/SPI, bare-metal) as well as network communication interfaces.
- Expert debugging skills from application to kernel level and across HW/SW domains.
- Strong intuition and understanding of designing systems for testability, scalability, and maintainability.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills, ability to analyze complex sub/system problems.
- Demonstrated commitment to structured coding and code documentation with strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Self-motivated, flexible team player to support all aspects of software development life cycle with the ability to define goals and work independently in a fast-paced environment.
Bonus Points for Knowledge and Experience with:
- Test automation and development of CI/CD pipelines (Jenkins, Buildbot).
- Linux kernel porting and configuration, development of device drivers.
- Building custom Linux distributions (Yocto, Buildroot).
- Cross-compilation toolchains.
- Cloud computing and storage platforms.
- Dockerized solutions.
Due to the nature of our business and the role, please note that Intuitive and/or your customer(s) may require that you show current proof of vaccination against certain diseases including COVID-19. Details can vary by role.
Intuitive is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees, and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type, without regard to race, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran or disability status, genetic information or any other status protected under federal, state, or local applicable laws.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.
Preference will be given to qualified candidates who do not reside, or plan to reside, in Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, or Tennessee.
We provide market-competitive compensation packages, inclusive of base pay, incentives, benefits, and equity. It would not be typical for someone to be hired at the top end of range for the role, as actual pay will be determined based on several factors, including experience, skills, and qualifications. The target salary ranges are listed.
Base Salary Range Region 1: $167,900 - $241,500
Base Salary Range Region 2: $142,700 - $205,300
Workplace Type: Onsite - This job is fully onsite.