Company DescriptionAt Intuitive, we are united behind our mission: we believe that minimally invasive care is life-enhancing care. Through ingenuity and intelligent technology, we expand the potential of physicians to heal without constraints.
As a pioneer and market leader in robotic-assisted surgery, we strive to foster an inclusive and diverse team, committed to making a difference. For more than 25 years, we have worked with hospitals and care teams around the world to help solve some of healthcare's hardest challenges and advance what is possible.
Intuitive has been built by the efforts of great people from diverse backgrounds. We believe great ideas can come from anywhere. We strive to foster an inclusive culture built around diversity of thought and mutual respect. We lead with inclusion and empower our team members to do their best work as their most authentic selves.
Passionate people who want to make a difference drive our culture. Our team members are grounded in integrity, have a strong capacity to learn, the energy to get things done, and bring diverse, real world experiences to help us think in new ways. We actively invest in our team members to support their long-term growth so they can continue to advance our mission and achieve their highest potential.
Join a team committed to taking big leaps forward for a global community of healthcare professionals and their patients. Together, let's advance the world of minimally invasive care.
Primary Function of Position:
The engineer will work within the Ion Instruments and Accessories team to develop next generation devices. The ideal candidate has a strong background in application of engineering first principles and hands on approaches to create robust designs. The ideal candidate enjoys working within a large technical team and is able to shift based on context between leader vs partner vs supporter, hustle vs. deliberation, and project vs. technical work.
Roles & Responsibilities as assigned:
- Create novel design concepts that meet the needs of all stakeholders including clinical and manufacturing.
- Drive design robustness and decisions overall based on sound engineering principles and data.
- Complete detailed drawings and robust tolerance analysis and update designs accordingly.
- Interface with clinical, usability, Instrument R&D, manufacturing, software, system design teams to develop, negotiate, and decompose instrument and interface requirements.
- Discover failure modes. Perform characterization to advance understanding of safety, performance, and business risk. Drive experimental approach and execution.
- Develop new or improve existing test methods. Design and fabricate custom test fixtures / setups, determine test conditions, substantiate clinical relevance, perform MSA, automate as applicable.
- Perform data analysis with sound statistical approaches where appropriate.
- Communicate results to stakeholders or in formal documentation when appropriate.
Skills, Experience, Education, & Training:
- Minimum educational requirement: B.S. in Engineering discipline, with strong preference for Mechanical Engineering or Biomedical Engineering. Higher level Engineering degree(s) a plus.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in an Engineering job role in a regulated environment required. Experience in R&D development strongly preferred.
- Experience building prototypes, coordinating prototype builds, and/or hands on troubleshooting and autopsy of device failures.
- Experience developing experimental plans and test methods; demonstrated ability to provide problem solving thought leadership.
- Experience with CAD and designing and fabricating test fixtures or parts.
Highly Preferred Skills & Experience
- Experience developing catheter-based products -- strongly preferred.
- Experience developing products with electromechanical and software features.
- Demonstrated proficiency and success in developing requirements and evaluating risk within the product development process.
- Experience with 1 or more automation tools or coding languages, e.g. Labview, MATLAB, python, C.
- Experience with data analysis tools and statistical methods.
- Demonstrated endurance operating within organizational and project complexity
- Ability to find room for opportunities (‘abundance’ mindset) on a large team / project
- Demonstrated ability to follow through / sense of urgency
- Demonstrated hands-on approach and habitual curiosity
- Excellent written and verbal communication skillset
Due to the nature of our business and the role, please note that Intuitive and/or your customer(s) may require that you show current proof of vaccination against certain diseases including COVID-19. Details can vary by role.
Intuitive is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees, and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type, without regard to race, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran or disability status, genetic information or any other status protected under federal, state, or local applicable laws.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.
Preference will be given to qualified candidates who do not reside, or plan to reside, in Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, or Tennessee.
We provide market-competitive compensation packages, inclusive of base pay, incentives, benefits, and equity. It would not be typical for someone to be hired at the top end of range for the role, as actual pay will be determined based on several factors, including experience, skills, and qualifications. The target salary ranges are listed.
Base Salary Range Region 1: $129,700 - $186,700
Base Salary Range Region 2: $110,300 - $158,700
Travel: 10% of the time
Workplace Type: Set Schedule - This job will be onsite weekly, the percentage of onsite work will be defined by the leader.