At Intuitive, we are united behind our mission: we believe that minimally invasive care is life-enhancing care. Through ingenuity and intelligent technology, we expand the potential of physicians to heal without constraints.
As a pioneer and market leader in robotic-assisted surgery, we strive to foster an inclusive and diverse team, committed to making a difference. For more than 25 years, we have worked with hospitals and care teams around the world to help solve some of healthcare's hardest challenges and advance what is possible.
Intuitive has been built by the efforts of great people from diverse backgrounds. We believe great ideas can come from anywhere. We strive to foster an inclusive culture built around diversity of thought and mutual respect. We lead with inclusion and empower our team members to do their best work as their most authentic selves.
Passionate people who want to make a difference drive our culture. Our team members are grounded in integrity, have a strong capacity to learn, the energy to get things done, and bring diverse, real world experiences to help us think in new ways. We actively invest in our team members to support their long-term growth so they can continue to advance our mission and achieve their highest potential.
Join a team committed to taking big leaps forward for a global community of healthcare professionals and their patients. Together, let's advance the world of minimally invasive care.
Primary Function of Position:
Responsible for ensuring suppliers meet ISI requirements for cost, quality, delivery and service. Drive suppliers to continuously improve business and manufacturing processes. Evaluate and select suppliers. Guide Engineering in choosing suppliers for new products and provide DFM input to new designs. Supports both NPI and on-going production, monitors and works with suppliers to improve supplier performance.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Select, evaluate, and qualify suppliers
- Part qualification including pFMEAs, FAIRS, Cpk, and Control Plans
- Supplier Corrective Action Request initiation, execution, and closure
- Ensure compliance to quality management system and regulatory requirements by leading and mentoring auditors for QMS audits
- Lead detailed projects of transfers of the supply of products and components
- Create strategies to effectively optimize the supply base by leading efforts to optimize supply networks.
- Drive suppliers to continually improve their business and manufacturing process performance to meet Intuitive Surgical’s requirements for supplier excellence including ship to stock programs using a collection of best practices in project management, Six Sigma, Lean, SPC and negotiation by leading these efforts without managerial guidance at several suppliers simultaneously.
- Develop and influence using metrics for supplier part cost, delivery, quality, capacity and capability by creating metrics to measure real improvement and judge required intervention or change at the supplier or in a commodity.
- Drive corrective actions for supplier process by driving suppliers to true root cause analysis and corrective and Preventive actions.
- Drive changes to ISI specifications through influencing and educating resulting in changing specifications and drawings including driving the ECO process to implementation.
- Provide effective and timely supply base health information to management by creating and delivering data-driven supply base information to any level of management at ISI with little or no guidance (including QRB) and provide recommendations.
- Prepare and deliver supplier communications as required by independently working with suppliers on scorecard creation of QBRs, Supplier Summits, etc.
- Facilitate supplier contract development to execution and maintenance by negotiating contracts as necessary in collaboration with the contract team and Supply Chain Management.
- Manage the ASL and Global Commodity Matrix
- Work with suppliers and ISI engineering for the new product introduction to:
- Create product supplier landscapes to determine launch readiness and report to management
- Develop supplier ramp readiness plans by judging business risk based on forecast, supplier capacity, quality performance, and process capability.
- DFM by engaging suppliers early in development cycle to feedback manufacturability improvements in the designs prior to production
- Influence and guide Engineering in choosing suppliers by determining selection criteria for preferred suppliers and leading the team effort to evaluate preferred suppliers.
- Deliver the following Quality deliverables: pFMEA, Special Process Validations, FAI, and Cpk by leading, training and mentoring suppliers through the pFMEA development, judging process validation requirements and signing-off on protocols as ISI rep, judging process capability with supplier as well as judging FAI suitability.
- Develop the supplier business continuity / disaster recovery plans by managing suppliers to create plans, judge plans for risks and negotiate with suppliers to reduce risks. Identify and investigate opportunities for cost reduction and/or quality improvement by judging opportunities and creating strategies to seize those opportunities, completes research and provides data-driven plans to management.
- Review, analyze and close customer complaints, manufacturing variance requests, and first article inspections by judging risk analyses and justifications, determining corrective and preventive actions at suppliers, looks for opportunities with suppliers to eliminate recurrence.
Skills, Experience, Education, & Training:
- Minimum BS degree in Engineering or equivalent, experience in Fiber Optics preferred
- Minimum 8 years related experience in Supplier Quality and/or Supplier Development or related field
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including presentations to executive level management
- Excellent Interpersonal skills and team building skills
- A proven history of implementing Lean/6 Sigma/SPC Programs at suppliers
- Excellent Project Management skills
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills along with good judgment
- Demonstrable knowledge in evaluating and challenging supplier technical, quality, and business capabilities
- Demonstrable knowledge of a wide range of manufacturing processes including understanding of key input variables for quality, cost and capacity (specialization can be in metal fabrication, plastics, electronics, and/or contract manufacturing)
- Excellent knowledge of 21 CFR part 820 and ISO 13485 (experience in auditing suppliers to these standards)
- Significant computer experience using Windows, Word, Excel, Access and ERP Information Systems, preferably SAP
- CAD experience with 3D modeling tools is a plus
- Proven ability to motivate suppliers
- Experience in a high-volume medical device company is a plus
- Ability to read and interpret detailed mechanical drawings and communicate technical information
- Ability to travel to suppliers on an as needed basis – domestic and international
Due to the nature of our business and the role, please note that Intuitive and/or your customer(s) may require that you show current proof of vaccination against certain diseases including COVID-19. Details can vary by role.
Intuitive is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees, and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type, without regard to race, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran or disability status, genetic information or any other status protected under federal, state, or local applicable laws.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.
Preference will be given to qualified candidates who do not reside, or plan to reside, in Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, or Tennessee.
We provide market-competitive compensation packages, inclusive of base pay, incentives, benefits, and equity. It would not be typical for someone to be hired at the top end of range for the role, as actual pay will be determined based on several factors, including experience, skills, and qualifications. The target salary ranges are listed.
Base Salary Range Region 1: $139,800 - $201,200
Base Salary Range Region 2: $118,800 - $171,000
Travel: 25% of the time
Workplace Type: Set Schedule - This job will be onsite weekly, the percentage of onsite work will be defined by the leader.