Company DescriptionAt Intuitive, we are united behind our mission: we believe that minimally invasive care is life-enhancing care. Through ingenuity and intelligent technology, we expand the potential of physicians to heal without constraints.
As a pioneer and market leader in robotic-assisted surgery, we strive to foster an inclusive and diverse team, committed to making a difference. For more than 25 years, we have worked with hospitals and care teams around the world to help solve some of healthcare's hardest challenges and advance what is possible.
Intuitive has been built by the efforts of great people from diverse backgrounds. We believe great ideas can come from anywhere. We strive to foster an inclusive culture built around diversity of thought and mutual respect. We lead with inclusion and empower our team members to do their best work as their most authentic selves.
Passionate people who want to make a difference drive our culture. Our team members are grounded in integrity, have a strong capacity to learn, the energy to get things done, and bring diverse, real world experiences to help us think in new ways. We actively invest in our team members to support their long-term growth so they can continue to advance our mission and achieve their highest potential.
Join a team committed to taking big leaps forward for a global community of healthcare professionals and their patients. Together, let's advance the world of minimally invasive care.
Primary function of position:
New Product Design and Development of the Viewer for the daVinci Robotic Assisted Surgical System
Surgeons need to see clearly in order heal their patients. Surgeons use the daVinci Surgical System for extended continuous duration under the intense stress of a surgical environment. Visual clarity and precise representation of the surgical field along with ease of use and optical comfort across the broad spectrum of surgeons are pillars of Intuitive’s vision products.
The primary responsibility of this position is to develop and demonstrate new display system architectures for the DaVinci Viewer system. This role will model and confirm via prototype experiments all of the key display metrics that the Viewer must deliver: brightness and contrast, image sharpness and resolution, white point and color gamut, luminance and color stability over life, etc
It is important that this position maintain an awareness of developing science, research, and technologies related to surgical imaging, augmented reality, and human perception. There is an expectation to not only know about but also create and communicate intellectual property throughout the development process in a timely manner. Good ideas come from many places. This role needs stay abreast of industry trends and develop concepts to enhance the performance of the DaVinci surgeon Viewer system
Provide critical technical leadership when working with outside development partners for custom components and sub-assemblies. Our development partners should know about and share in Intuitive’s mission so they can feel the need for and understand the need for high quality and operational excellence. Strategic development of the supply chain must be a priority.
- Minimum PhD in Electrical Engineering, Optical Engineering, or Physics, with a minimum of 10 years of display industry experience
- Deep understanding of modern flat-panel LCD display technology and capabilities
- Familiar with LCD panel driver technology and touch screen driver technology
- Conversant in ray optics modeling tools
- Fluent in use of LCD Master CAD modeling package
- Familiar with the principles of physical optics and application of them to flat-panel display technology
- 10-15 years as a proven technical innovator in optics, photonics and display technology (multiple patents authored)
- Understanding of color science and how to model and validate metrics such as white point and color gamut for the Viewer system
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to meaningfully engage deeply technical individual contributors on specific activities
- Understanding of light sources, spatial light modulators, and complex optical systems operating at visible wavelengths
- Experience in eye tracking technologies, modeling and experiments and how the technology operates with 3D vision systems
- Understanding of human visual perception, sources of visualize discomfort in 3D vision systems and evaluation methods
Due to the nature of our business and the role, please note that Intuitive and/or your customer(s) may require that you show current proof of vaccination against certain diseases including COVID-19. Details can vary by role.
Intuitive is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees, and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type, without regard to race, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran or disability status, genetic information or any other status protected under federal, state, or local applicable laws.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.
Preference will be given to qualified candidates who do not reside, or plan to reside, in Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, or Tennessee.
We provide market-competitive compensation packages, inclusive of base pay, incentives, benefits, and equity. It would not be typical for someone to be hired at the top end of range for the role, as actual pay will be determined based on several factors, including experience, skills, and qualifications. The target salary ranges are listed.
Base Salary Range Region 1: $150,500 - $216,500
Base Salary Range Region 2: $127,900 - $184,100
Travel: 10% of the time
Workplace Type: Onsite - This job is fully onsite.