Company DescriptionAt Intuitive, we are united behind our mission: we believe that minimally invasive care is life-enhancing care. Through ingenuity and intelligent technology, we expand the potential of physicians to heal without constraints.
As a pioneer and market leader in robotic-assisted surgery, we strive to foster an inclusive and diverse team, committed to making a difference. For more than 25 years, we have worked with hospitals and care teams around the world to help solve some of healthcare's hardest challenges and advance what is possible.
Intuitive has been built by the efforts of great people from diverse backgrounds. We believe great ideas can come from anywhere. We strive to foster an inclusive culture built around diversity of thought and mutual respect. We lead with inclusion and empower our team members to do their best work as their most authentic selves.
Passionate people who want to make a difference drive our culture. Our team members are grounded in integrity, have a strong capacity to learn, the energy to get things done, and bring diverse, real world experiences to help us think in new ways. We actively invest in our team members to support their long-term growth so they can continue to advance our mission and achieve their highest potential.
Join a team committed to taking big leaps forward for a global community of healthcare professionals and their patients. Together, let's advance the world of minimally invasive care.
Primary Function of Position:
The Ion™ endoluminal system is Intuitive's new robotic platform for minimally invasive biopsy in the peripheral lung, with an initial goal of improving the early diagnosis of lung cancer. The Ion R&D team is looking for a gifted engineer to contribute to our navigation software, which guides our physician users through the 3D structure of the lung, to take a biopsy at a target location.
In this role, you will design and implement a variety of software components, as part of the Ion navigation software team. You will take on projects with broad technical scope, covering robotics, computer graphics, and user interface design. The ideal candidate is an independent and fast-paced developer with excellent problem-solving skills, capable of producing robust, high-quality code in the face of rapidly changing requirements.
- Work closely with designers, clinical engineers, and other software developers to iteratively create world-class user experiences for the Ion platform
- Develop a complete, elegant GUI that allows physicians to control a complex robotic system
- Construct 3D virtual environments that depict the interaction of medical instruments and deformable biological tissues such as lung airways
- Create sophisticated, interactive visualizations of medical images and robot sensor data
- Refine prototypes to production-quality software
- Define high-level requirements, and architect clean software interfaces for a distributed robotic system
- Participate in failure mode analysis, to identify and implement robust hazard mitigation strategies
To qualify for this position, you must have:
- Minimum of 8 years of related experience with a Bachelor's degree; or 6 years experience and a Master's degree; or a PhD with 3 years experience; or equivalent experience
- Strong working knowledge of C++ and object-oriented programming
- Great communication and documentation skills
- Experience working in large software codebases
- High levels of independence and technical ownership
- Full-stack mentality, with flexibility to contribute to different areas of the codebase
Ideally, a candidate would also have:
- Familiarity with development in a Linux environment
- Experience with GUI development in Qt/QML
- Experience with OpenGL and 3D rendering
- Experience with parallel programming and Cuda
- Experience with game engines such as Unity or Unreal Engine
- Knowledge of robotics algorithms and medical device development
Due to the nature of our business and the role, please note that Intuitive and/or your customer(s) may require that you show current proof of vaccination against certain diseases including COVID-19. Details can vary by role.
Intuitive is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees, and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type, without regard to race, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran or disability status, genetic information or any other status protected under federal, state, or local applicable laws.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.
Preference will be given to qualified candidates who do not reside, or plan to reside, in Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, or Tennessee.
We provide market-competitive compensation packages, inclusive of base pay, incentives, benefits, and equity. It would not be typical for someone to be hired at the top end of range for the role, as actual pay will be determined based on several factors, including experience, skills, and qualifications. The target salary ranges are listed.
Base Salary Range Region 1: $167,900 - $241,500
Base Salary Range Region 2: $142,700 - $205,300
Workplace Type: Set Schedule - This job will be onsite weekly, the percentage of onsite work will be defined by the leader.