Company DescriptionAt Intuitive, we are united behind our mission: we believe that minimally invasive care is life-enhancing care. Through ingenuity and intelligent technology, we expand the potential of physicians to heal without constraints.
As a pioneer and market leader in robotic-assisted surgery, we strive to foster an inclusive and diverse team, committed to making a difference. For more than 25 years, we have worked with hospitals and care teams around the world to help solve some of healthcare's hardest challenges and advance what is possible.
Intuitive has been built by the efforts of great people from diverse backgrounds. We believe great ideas can come from anywhere. We strive to foster an inclusive culture built around diversity of thought and mutual respect. We lead with inclusion and empower our team members to do their best work as their most authentic selves.
Passionate people who want to make a difference drive our culture. Our team members are grounded in integrity, have a strong capacity to learn, the energy to get things done, and bring diverse, real world experiences to help us think in new ways. We actively invest in our team members to support their long-term growth so they can continue to advance our mission and achieve their highest potential.
Join a team committed to taking big leaps forward for a global community of healthcare professionals and their patients. Together, let's advance the world of minimally invasive care.
Primary Function of Position: We aim to make applying convenient for you! If you are enrolled in a Mechanical Engineering or Biomedical Engineering undergraduate or graduate degree program, apply to this posting and it will ensure you are considered for the relevant openings within Manufacturing for Summer 2024. The recruiting timeline for each specific role does vary, so we appreciate your patience as we consider your application throughout the recruiting season.
Please keep in mind the following:
- We recommend that you apply early, before spots begin to fill
- Each role is different, so ensure your resume is comprehensive to your skills, experience, education & training
- You may receive an invite to apply for a specific opening
- You can expect final status on your application by the end of December 2023 and we’ll consider your application until then
Internships may be available within the following teams:
- Manufacturing Engineering - provide engineering support for in-house manufacturing lines, process improvements, and design of fixturing
- Manufacturing Equipment/Automation Engineering - supports the design, fabrication, testing, and maintenance of complex manufacturing equipment
- Manufacturing Software Engineering – develop, test and maintain software for use on manufacturing equipment and tests utilizing Matlab or Python etc.
- Supplier Engineering - supports procurement of components used in our assemblies ensuring suppliers meet company requirements for cost, quality, delivery and service
- Failure Analysis Engineering - supports the analysis of failures in the field
- Test/Validation Engineering - supports test and validation of our products in early-stage development of projects
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Performing engineering tasks, problem-solving and documentation activities related to medical device development and surgical robotic systems and instruments
- Communicating and collaborating with multiple teams and stakeholders to provide updates and provide task deliverables.
- Work on substantive projects that have the potential to impact the future business of the company
- Presenting a project you have been involved with and lessons learned to the organization
University Hiring Program Eligibility Requirements:
- University Enrollment: Must be currently enrolled in and returning to an accredited degree-seeking academic program in the Fall.
- Internship Work Period: Must be available to work full-time (approximately 40 hours per week) during a 10–12-week period starting May or June. Specific start dates are shared during the recruiting process.
Skills, Experience, Education, & Training:
- Current enrollment in a Mechanical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, or relevant Engineering degree-seeking program at the Bachelor’s level. Master’s level students will also be considered based on specific relevant experience.
- Prior use of CAD to design mechanisms in SolidWorks is preferred
- Knowledge of and familiarity with Matlab and Minitab is preferred
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work well in a team environment
Due to the nature of our business and the role, please note that Intuitive and/or your customer(s) may require that you show current proof of vaccination against certain diseases including COVID-19. Details can vary by role.
Intuitive is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees, and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type, without regard to race, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran or disability status, genetic information or any other status protected under federal, state, or local applicable laws.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.
We provide market-competitive compensation packages, inclusive of base pay (paid at an hourly rate), benefits, and a housing allowance. It would not be typical for someone to be hired at the top end of range for the role, as actual pay will be determined based on several factors, including relevant skills and experience for this internship, degree-seeking academic program (PhD, Master’s, Bachelor’s, etc), year in school, and location. The hourly rate is prorated against the intern program salaries listed and total program compensation will be based on internship duration.
Base Salary Range Region 1: $54,430 - $87,040
Base Salary Range Region 2: $46,270 - $73,980
Travel: 10% of the time
Workplace Type: Onsite - This job is fully onsite.