Company DescriptionAt Intuitive, we are united behind our mission: we believe that minimally invasive care is life-enhancing care. Through ingenuity and intelligent technology, we expand the potential of physicians to heal without constraints.
As a pioneer and market leader in robotic-assisted surgery, we strive to foster an inclusive and diverse team, committed to making a difference. For more than 25 years, we have worked with hospitals and care teams around the world to help solve some of healthcare's hardest challenges and advance what is possible.
Intuitive has been built by the efforts of great people from diverse backgrounds. We believe great ideas can come from anywhere. We strive to foster an inclusive culture built around diversity of thought and mutual respect. We lead with inclusion and empower our team members to do their best work as their most authentic selves.
Passionate people who want to make a difference drive our culture. Our team members are grounded in integrity, have a strong capacity to learn, the energy to get things done, and bring diverse, real world experiences to help us think in new ways. We actively invest in our team members to support their long-term growth so they can continue to advance our mission and achieve their highest potential.
Join a team committed to taking big leaps forward for a global community of healthcare professionals and their patients. Together, let's advance the world of minimally invasive care.
Description of Position:
The Future Forward group within Intuitive Surgical is searching for a staff mechanical engineer with a focus on the mechanical design of surgical instruments, contributing to the exploration of a novel system concept for a new application of surgical robotics. This role is an exciting opportunity to join a small and innovative team in the very early phases of product development.
The Future Forward team at Intuitive is a cross-functional team dedicated to the creation of innovative medical robotic platforms and technologies. We create transformational technologies to address the major pain points and unmet needs in our healthcare system.
Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient outcomes as our highest priority. The Staff Mechanical Engineer will focus on the development of robotic surgical instruments for minimally invasive surgical applications. The successful candidate will have both the technical depth to resolve complex mechanical, materials and manufacturing design issues and the ability to work in an interdisciplinary team to troubleshoot to root cause higher level system issues. They must excel in a high-energy, focused, small-team environment, and have a commitment to high quality prototypes and concepts and a demonstrated record of developing creating and innovative engineering solutions. A strong sense of shared responsibility and shared reward is required as well as a commitment to high product quality.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Design and develop novel robotic surgical instruments, including design and procurement of components, prototype assembly and builds, and design and development of testing and assembly fixtures and methods
- Work in a small, cross-functional team to define and develop product requirements and functional specifications for robotic instruments, subsystems, and systems
- Act as a technical mentor to mechanical engineers
- Analyze and test product prototype designs, critically analyze results, and share results with the engineering team
- Provide written protocols, reports, presentations, and perform technical design reviews to solicit feedback on design activities on an ongoing basis.
- Development and documentation of mechanical design and manufacturing documentation including: inspection procedures, assembly instructions, new manufacturing processes, test methods, purchase specifications, BOMs, component / assembly drawings per the company’s operating procedures
- Create and maintain SolidWorks CAD databases, including assemblies, components, and detailed drawings
- Contribute to and make decisions based on risk assessments, industry standards, and regulatory frameworks
- Observe pre-clinical and clinical cases and interface with clinical experts to inform designs and identify user needs
- Document, prepare and review patent submissions.
- Minimum BS or MS in Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics, Materials Science or related engineering or scientific discipline, or equivalent work experience
- Minimum 12 years of experience developing commercial medical products
- Demonstrated ability to work in cross-functional research and development teams
- Evaluate designs via prototype testing and rigorous mathematical analysis.
- Investigate and determine root cause of both latent and emerging design
- Experience with metals, plastics, fabrication methods, plastics molding, MIM, extrusions, process equipment, adhesives, and/or disposable medical products are a strong plus
- Proficiency using CAD to design and document mechanisms; SolidWorks preferred
- Experience with GD&T and other related ASME/ISO drafting standards and tolerance stack analysis
- Experience with all phases of the product development lifecycle including design, implementation, debug, verification, qualification, and transfer
- Experience with FDA QSR 21 CFR Part 820, ISO 13485, IEC 60601 and other related external standards
- Experience with electromechanical design (Robotics experience preferred)
- Excellent written and communication skills
- Ability to travel up to 10% of the time
Due to the nature of our business and the role, please note that Intuitive and/or your customer(s) may require that you show current proof of vaccination against certain diseases including COVID-19. Details can vary by role.
Intuitive is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees, and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type, without regard to race, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran or disability status, genetic information or any other status protected under federal, state, or local applicable laws.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.
Preference will be given to qualified candidates who do not reside, or plan to reside, in Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, or Tennessee.
We provide market-competitive compensation packages, inclusive of base pay, incentives, benefits, and equity. It would not be typical for someone to be hired at the top end of range for the role, as actual pay will be determined based on several factors, including experience, skills, and qualifications. The target salary ranges are listed.
Base Salary Range Region 1: $162,500 - $233,900
Base Salary Range Region 2: $138,200 - $198,800
Travel: 10% of the time
Workplace Type: Set Schedule - This job will be onsite weekly, the percentage of onsite work will be defined by the leader.