At Intuitive, we are united behind our mission: we believe that minimally invasive care is life-enhancing care. Through ingenuity and intelligent technology, we expand the potential of physicians to heal without constraints.
As a pioneer and market leader in robotic-assisted surgery, we strive to foster an inclusive and diverse team, committed to making a difference. For more than 25 years, we have worked with hospitals and care teams around the world to help solve some of healthcare's hardest challenges and advance what is possible.
Intuitive has been built by the efforts of great people from diverse backgrounds. We believe great ideas can come from anywhere. We strive to foster an inclusive culture built around diversity of thought and mutual respect. We lead with inclusion and empower our team members to do their best work as their most authentic selves.
Passionate people who want to make a difference drive our culture. Our team members are grounded in integrity, have a strong capacity to learn, the energy to get things done, and bring diverse, real world experiences to help us think in new ways. We actively invest in our team members to support their long-term growth so they can continue to advance our mission and achieve their highest potential.
Join a team committed to taking big leaps forward for a global community of healthcare professionals and their patients. Together, let's advance the world of minimally invasive care.
Primary Function of Position:
Contribute broadly to the Video Software Engineering Group, responsible for the Linux-based, embedded software that controls the real-time, high-definition, stereo video processing engine and intra-body illumination at the heart of the da Vinci™ Surgical System. The successful candidate must thrive in a fast paced, focused team environment, be able to derive solutions from rough requirements, and care deeply about customer needs and high product quality. Intuitive Surgical believes in shared responsibility and shared reward.
Our team’s primary goal is to deliver real-time, high-definition, stereo surgical video with the best possible image quality for use in surgical procedures. To achieve these goals, you will be involved in the following activities:
- Detailed design, development, documentation, and verification of product-focused, rock-solid embedded software.
- Bring-up and integration of new, high-performance cameras and image-sensors
- Integration and evaluation of advanced camera pipeline video processing algorithms
- Development and enhancements of the color and power control functions for intra-operative illumination
- Working on a cross-functional team at multiple levels, from architectural definition and implementation to system integration and final product testing.
- Contributing to other areas of software development, such as:
- extension of current processing frameworks to new hardware platforms
- design and development of offline simulation environments to facilitate rapid software development and test
- hardware / software diagnostic tool design and development
- Aiding in formal risk analyses and development of software mitigations to minimize potential failures.
Desired Skills and Capabilities:
Competency will be measured by evaluating education, training, skills, and experience. To be successful in this role, an individual will likely meet the following criteria:
- Minimum bachelor's or master's degree in a STEM field, with a minimum of 8 years of industry experience in developing C/C++ software for embedded systems.
- Experience with developing software in an embedded Linux environment.
- Familiarity with programming and configuration of hardware devices.
- Demonstrated experience and comfort with all phases of the product development lifecycle, including design, documentation, implementation, debug, verification, validation, and transfer to manufacturing.
In addition, the following areas of expertise are especially desirable:
- Direct experience with imaging devices, e.g., light sensors, cameras, video/graphics hardware.
- Knowledge of image-processing, CUDA, ML, and/or FPGA integration.
- Experience as a technical lead for cross-functional SW/HW development efforts.
- Experience with designing software products for mission critical applications.
Due to the nature of our business and the role, please note that Intuitive and/or your customer(s) may require that you show current proof of vaccination against certain diseases including COVID-19. Details can vary by role.
Intuitive is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees, and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type, without regard to race, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran or disability status, genetic information or any other status protected under federal, state, or local applicable laws.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.
Preference will be given to qualified candidates who do not reside, or plan to reside, in Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, or Tennessee.
We provide market-competitive compensation packages, inclusive of base pay, incentives, benefits, and equity. It would not be typical for someone to be hired at the top end of range for the role, as actual pay will be determined based on several factors, including experience, skills, and qualifications. The target salary ranges are listed.
Base Salary Range Region 1: $167,900 - $241,500
Base Salary Range Region 2: $142,700 - $205,300
Workplace Type: Onsite - This job is fully onsite.