Intuitive is the pioneer in robotic-assisted surgery that is fundamentally enabling more effective and less invasive treatment. Recently the 10 millionth da Vinci procedure was performed, which highlights our exceptional growth over the last 25 years. We expect physicians to use da Vinci to treat more than 2 million patients in 2023.
At Intuitive, we are united behind our mission: we believe that minimally invasive care is life-enhancing care. Through ingenuity and intelligent technology, we expand the potential of physicians to heal without constraints.
As a pioneer and market leader in robotic-assisted surgery, we strive to foster an inclusive and diverse team, committed to making a difference. For more than 25 years, we have worked with hospitals and care teams around the world to help solve some of healthcare's hardest challenges and advance what is possible.
Intuitive has been built by the efforts of great people from diverse backgrounds. We believe great ideas can come from anywhere. We strive to foster an inclusive culture built around diversity of thought and mutual respect. We lead with inclusion and empower our team members to do their best work as their most authentic selves.
Passionate people who want to make a difference drive our culture. Our team members are grounded in integrity, have a strong capacity to learn, the energy to get things done, and bring diverse, real world experiences to help us think in new ways. We actively invest in our team members to support their long-term growth so they can continue to advance our mission and achieve their highest potential.
Join a team committed to taking big leaps forward for a global community of healthcare professionals and their patients. Together, let's advance the world of minimally invasive care.
Primary Function of Position:
This key role provides technical and managerial leadership to the team responsible for the design and development of robotic surgical instruments used with the DaVinci Surgical System. The span of this role includes leadership of new breakthrough design to improve clinical efficacy and refinement of existing designs to maintain and improve performance, reliability, manufacturability, and cost.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead directors, managers, and engineers to develop complex surgical instruments.
- Motivate the organization with a solid vision that leads to focused and prioritized direction.
- Provide sound technical leadership to project teams and be an active participant in formal design review boards for new and existing products.
- Support claims development for new products in collaboration with Product Management
- Continuously monitor, support, and work to improve product quality with deep failure analysis and creative design solutions.
- Use sound judgment to navigate challenging and complex situations with humility and ethical courage.
- Consistently demonstrate culture and values of the organization internally and externally
- Build strong trusted relationships with partners across the company.
- Communicate effectively with staff, company executives, clinicians, product teams, process development, and all operations functions.
- Participate in business strategy to create roadmap of future instrument development.
- Contribute to the creation of corporate and business unit goals and establish team goals that help focus internal projects and department improvement.
- Create a vision and implement an organizational design plan that anticipates and meets the needs of the business.
- Cultivate efficient product design processes and support continuous improvement initiatives.
- Assess employee performance, provide coaching, and create opportunities for staff to grow technically and managerially.
- Provide leadership for planning, staffing, budgeting, and project/program cost tracking.
- Manage priorities and resources among competing project priorities.
- Work directly with the Regulatory Submissions and Compliance departments to support new product submissions and to meet all regulatory compliance requirements.
- Effectively engage with the company’s CAPA system as part of product quality management.
Core Competencies and Skill Requirements:
- BS degree in an engineering discipline with advanced technical degree(s) (MS, PhD) degree highly preferred.
- 15+ years of design engineering experience in product development.
- Experience in medical device design and development, including surgical instrument development, is highly desired.
- 10+ years as a manager of technical personnel in a fast-paced environment, and 5+ years leading large groups that include people managers strongly preferred.
- Strong technical and analytical skills including familiarity of robotics (mechanisms, electronics, software, algorithms) including small parts and cable mechanisms.
- Deep understanding of engineering best practices and rigorous product development methods
- Proven experience and solid track record of complex product development and project management taking products through concept, design, manufacturing, and ongoing development.
- Strong understanding of moderate to high volume manufacturing processes.
- Excellent communication skills a must with solid proficiency in standard tools. Experience communicating with and influencing senior executives strongly preferred.
- Ability to travel occasionally (10-15%) for partner meetings, manufacturing site and supplier visits, and customer interactions both domestically and internationally.
Due to the nature of our business and the role, please note that Intuitive and/or your customer(s) may require that you show current proof of vaccination against certain diseases including COVID-19. Details can vary by role.
Intuitive is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees, and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type, without regard to race, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran or disability status, genetic information or any other status protected under federal, state, or local applicable laws.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.
Preference will be given to qualified candidates who do not reside, or plan to reside, in Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, or Tennessee.
We provide market-competitive compensation packages, inclusive of base pay, incentives, benefits, and equity. It would not be typical for someone to be hired at the top end of range for the role, as actual pay will be determined based on several factors, including experience, skills, and qualifications. The target salary ranges are listed.
Base Salary Range Region 1: $228,000 - $342,000
Base Salary Range Region 2: $193,800 - $290,800
Travel: 10% of the time
Workplace Type: Set Schedule - This job will be onsite weekly, the percentage of onsite work will be defined by the leader.