Company DescriptionAt Intuitive, we are united behind our mission: we believe that minimally invasive care is life-enhancing care. Through ingenuity and intelligent technology, we expand the potential of physicians to heal without constraints.
As a pioneer and market leader in robotic-assisted surgery, we strive to foster an inclusive and diverse team, committed to making a difference. For more than 25 years, we have worked with hospitals and care teams around the world to help solve some of healthcare's hardest challenges and advance what is possible.
Intuitive has been built by the efforts of great people from diverse backgrounds. We believe great ideas can come from anywhere. We strive to foster an inclusive culture built around diversity of thought and mutual respect. We lead with inclusion and empower our team members to do their best work as their most authentic selves.
Passionate people who want to make a difference drive our culture. Our team members are grounded in integrity, have a strong capacity to learn, the energy to get things done, and bring diverse, real world experiences to help us think in new ways. We actively invest in our team members to support their long-term growth so they can continue to advance our mission and achieve their highest potential.
Join a team committed to taking big leaps forward for a global community of healthcare professionals and their patients. Together, let's advance the world of minimally invasive care.
The Staff Design Engineer will lead all technical aspects of next gen catheter steerable catheter and flexible endoscope designs at Intuitive for Ion. The Ion™ endoluminal system is Intuitive's robotic platform for minimally invasive biopsy in the peripheral lung with an initial goal of improving the early diagnosis of lung cancer. Ion accesses deep into the lungs and offers treatment not possible with conventional tools.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Lead all design deliverables for derivative and breakthrough steerable catheter and endoscope projects.
- Create novel designs that meet the needs of all stakeholders including clinical and manufacturing
- Test early phase devices to identify risks, root causes and appropriate design related solutions
- Quickly assess design options and necessary activities to drive decisions based on sound engineering principles and data
- Develop Test Methods and identify appropriate level of testing such as sample size and limit/challenge testing to ensure design is robust and capable of meeting requirements for a wide variety of process and clinical conditions
- Complete detailed drawings and robust tolerance analysis and update designs accordingly.
- Organize and analyze data and schedule periodic technical reviews to present findings, conclusions and next steps to piers and stakeholders
- Work closely with Clinical, Supply Chain and Manufacturing to establish requirements, metrics and assess tradeoffs and progress
- Engage Manufacturing Engineering, Equipment Engineering and production to help develop robust processes for high volume and cost effective manufacturing
- Partner with design control engineer to follow all Design control SOPs and complete design control deliverables including requirements, risk analysis and Design V&V testing
- Provide design and process support and continued sustaining support during the early phases of manufacturing
- Maintain close ties to RMA and field complaints to assess potential design related changes that may be needed
The successful candidate will have a strong background in catheter design and processes, including braiding, laminating, laser welding, and Injection molding. The candidate must have a proven track record of designing, building and testing catheter designs from initial concept to manufacturing transfer. The candidate must have a solid Engineering background with experience in CAD, FEA and Materials have demonstrated ability to use these tools for designing many of the components needed for a complex steerable catheter. The candidate should be comfortable with hands on building and testing, but also have a strong understanding of the engineering theory behind such devices.
Skills, Experience, Education, & Training:
- Minimum BS Mechanical Engineering or related engineering discipline required, MS or Higher Preferred. Advanced degrees may substitute for experience
- Minimum 10 years of experience developing commercial medical products, at least 5 yrs of steerable catheter design experience
- Thorough understanding of the state of the art of steerable catheters or flexible endoscopes.
- Thorough understanding of the state of the art at design and manufacturing houses for catheter components such as extrusions, braiding, mandrels, pullwires and catheter sub assemblies
- Demonstration of multiple years of hands on steerable catheter prototyping and development.
- Demonstration of strong analytical ability to test and assess design concepts
- Training in ‘Design for Six Sigma’ and robust design techniques is a plus.
- SolidWorks proficient.
- Proficient with Matlab, and capable of performing data analysis on large data sets
- Capable of performing FEA, MoldFlow or CFD if needed
- Hands-on engineering with ability to work well in a team environment.
- Excellent written and communication skills.
Due to the nature of our business and the role, please note that Intuitive and/or your customer(s) may require that you show current proof of vaccination against certain diseases including COVID-19. Details can vary by role.
Intuitive is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees, and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type, without regard to race, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, color, age, religion, protected veteran or disability status, genetic information or any other status protected under federal, state, or local applicable laws.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.
Preference will be given to qualified candidates who do not reside, or plan to reside, in Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, or Tennessee.
We provide market-competitive compensation packages, inclusive of base pay, incentives, benefits, and equity. It would not be typical for someone to be hired at the top end of range for the role, as actual pay will be determined based on several factors, including experience, skills, and qualifications. The target salary ranges are listed.
Base Salary Range Region 1: $162,500 - $233,900
Base Salary Range Region 2: $138,200 - $198,800
Travel: 10% of the time
Workplace Type: Set Schedule - This job will be onsite weekly, the percentage of onsite work will be defined by the leader.